oil in the coolant

Rate this topic

So I just inherited this nightmare, its been to 3 different places including 1 other dealership. 02 F550 dump, guy just bought this truck off another guy who fought this issue for the last 2 years. Its had an O'Reilly oil cooler put on and the seals have been changed a couple of times and still ends up with the same issue. The dealer he took it to said it was cracked injector cups and replaced 3 of them. I don't see how there is anyway an injector cup will put oil in to the cooling system. I took the cooler down and looked at the header sealing surface where the smaller O-rings sit and found a small amount of pitting. I suggested to replace both headers and put a Ford cooler in it to rule that out. Flushed it twice and drove roughly 40 miles and found to be losing oil again. Has anybody ever seen a cracked block causing this? The guy is pissed because the guy he bought it from told him it was fixed so he went ahead and had an 8,000.00 dump bed up fit installed and the pressure is on to get this squared away. Oh, and he wants it fixed cheap. The only 2 other things I see causing this would be a crack or pinhole somewhere allowing pressurized oil to pushed into the cooling system, or possible a failed front cover gasket. Any thoughts or best way to determine where the leak is?

I've seen my fair share of cylinder wall cavitation on 7.3's, but they normally cause coolant in the oil, not the other way around.  I suppose it is possible under the right conditions...

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to give an update, finally got the guy to give the ok for tear down. Pulled the front cover and found a pin hole leak in the front cover near the anti drain check ball passage that feeds the high pressure oil pump reservoir.

• Like 2