low icp pressure early built 04

Rate this topic

vehicle will not start. icp pressure will cranking is 430 ipr is at 85%. pulled valve covers and installed block off plugs to rail. cranked engine with icp at 85% icp builds to 2400, I believe it should build 4,000 psi. I removes turbo and air tested high pressure system and when commanding ipr at 85% I do not hear any leak. I think I hear some from the oil filter housing. it looks like it has a new icp sensor and possibly hpop but I believe it is bad. I would like to know what you guys think before I pull the trigger and replace the pump. I am a ford diesel rookie.

William,

I would be much more interested the ICPV instead of whatever pressure the PCM decides to display.

The 85% IPR duty cycle is certainly an indicator of a HPO system issue. Have you checked the base engine oil system yet?

Every single one of those early pumps I have replaced had the drive end oil seal pushed out a bit.

An internal failure of the pump will allow the high pressure to get out and push on the seal.

You shouldn't be able to hear any air or gurgling in the oil filter housing.

Even at 85%, The IPR is still open a little bit. You would need to block it off completely to truly "deadhead" the pump for a max psi reading.

You are listening for a change in the air leak (flow) when you command the IPR open and closed.

first image is with out block off tools installed.  I did not check actual oil pressure with gauge while cranking just checked for oil coming up into filter  housing while depressing the valve and cranking. when I pulled the pump out and turned it by hand it felt like it was binding and the freed up.

2017-06-29 (1).png

2017-06-29.png