A Wee Bit Apprehensive

Rate this topic

This fellow was recommended to me from a shop I consult with on occasion. 2009 F-350 that a dealership tech replaced the HPFP on at his house on the side. The gentleman bought the pump at his dealership. The truck ran one time and has never run since........no fuel coming out of the pump. The owner spoke with the dealership and they said if he had the receipt then it would be under warranty to replace the pump again (the dealer diagnosed it as a failed new pump).

So now the owner wants to tow it to my dealer and have me do the pump. But here is the thing.......I am wondering if the pump gear was not tightened or has come loose (it could happen since you have to swap it over, right?). I really hate to get involved with something like that and then have to deal with Ford when they say the pump is ok.

I guess I could prep the owner that if I remove the cover and find the pump bolt loose then it's on him. :shrug:

Brad, That could get ugly.

I would think you'd need to diag it yourself, IE,

Does it make any psi at all?

Are you gonna do it with the trans removed?

The loose gear/bolt should be obvious without pulling the pump.

What if the pump has failed, Did it send any debris out to the injectors?

Could be a wiring issue, I believe the VCV would default open anyway, But the PCV would need power.

As you said, Prepping the owner is a good idea.

Prep the customer for sure on the fact that FoMoCo has certain warranty terms..eg they will not cover installation errors ect. Or your HPFP warranty will only cover manufacturer defects. You already document all your stuff so present your findings whatever they are in a diplomatic way and..

Since you are a teacher this could be a teaching moment :)

Couldn't a circuit or control valve fault be proven with a DSO and amp clamp without any exploratory surgery?

Couldn't a circuit or control valve fault be proven with a DSO and amp clamp without any exploratory surgery?

Pinpoint test step ME4 resistance check between at external connector.