Working with an Apprentice

Rate this topic

Chad_Kelsoe

So I've been at my dealer for nearly 5 months now. It took a few weeks to finally figure out where I was needed most, but it seems I have taken over the gas driveability. We're a small dealer, 1 diesel guy that does all diesels and 250's up, myself doing pretty much anything, 1 guy that does mostly DPS6 clutch's and small trans repairs, 1 guy doing brakes and alignments, and 1 doing electrical and trim work. Then we have 3 guys for oil changes, tires, etc. We also have an Asset student that was kind of paired up with the "trans" guy, but it was pretty much a do this for me and I get paid for it deal. 

So my manager has approached me about the asset student working with me when he finishes this round of school. He's pretty smart and has the drive and we get along pretty well, so I think it would be a great idea. Mainly because I like to get him involved on the diag and help him understand exactly why he's doing any repair. But we have to figure out a way that we both get paid fairly and doesn't kill the dealer. To give an idea, I get paid $32 per hour flat rate, with a 30 hour guarantee. He is currently paid hourly, but I don't know how much. I do know he gets a bonus for flagging so many hours a week, if he works a full week. I'm not sure how he will get paid if he starts working with me. I'm trying to come up with some ideas for each of us to get paid fairly and not rip off the dealer. They do a pretty good job of taking care of folks around here. For example I was off 1 1/2 days due to an ear infection that gave me vertigo. They cut me a $300 check out of a "hard luck" fund to help me out since I don't have paid time off yet.

My manager's first idea is to continue paying me flat rate, but pay me $10 per hour for each hour that he turns. I'm not sure how he will be paid at this time. So I'm looking to see if anyone here has done the same in your dealers. Was there any plan that worked good,  plans that didn't? I'm looking for any suggestion, as I believe doing in-house training with this kid will help to grow him as a tech and hopefully give our dealer another good driveablitly tech to help with the work load.  

In house training has seemed to work well for me but it depends on the people involved. I have never had any special pay just for the sake of mentoring though I am paid a little differently for my shop to start with. If I am not mistaken our shop has always paid these young guys hourly at first. I don't make anyone else's pay plan my business nor should it be. Their job is to take the time to pay attention, open the service manual, learn and get some good hands on experience without worrying about the clock for a while. 

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.  My dealer is straight flat rate with no guarantee and nothing extra for training someone. We have been short staffed for a while now and management will pretty much hire anybody off the street and tell us to see what you can do with them. I have had 5 in the last 2 years and only one was going to make it. He worked with me for about 6 weeks and threw in the towel. He came from a Nissan store and wanted to try diesels but decided it wasn't for him. The rest were just not worth time and ended up hurting my pay because of the system I mentioned before. Finally told management I'm done with helpers. We are high volume and have enough diesel work for 2 guys most of the time but I rather be behind all the time than deal with the headache of babysitting.

I would love it if I could go back to doing my own job and not babysitting.  The current service white shirts have near zero automotive knowledge so there's no one to be the mediator between the shop, management and customers.......except me that is.  I did not sign up for this however.  I signed up for a 40 hour guarantee and that was at least 5 years ago.  Nothing is even remotely similar to the way it was.  As of late they see that as a salary so I can rightfully be passed on all the work no one else wants to do. 

The whole shop is my helpers.  I do not much care for it.  I was never anyone's helper since day one.