Ram Cummins training

Rate this topic

tonybullitt

It's official today my dealer is adding Chrysler franchise. I have been asked to get Cummins training done so we can start working on them. Any dual franchise guys have insight on what I have gotten myself into?

In my opinion, if you can work on Ford Diesels, you can work on anything.  Fear not!

I also think there is a LOT less tribal knowledge necessary to be good on them.

Their owners are just as fanatical as Powerstroke guys.

My 2 cents.  (actual street value)

Joe

I was doing this for a short stint. Joe is right on the ability to work on them compared to the Fords.  What you WILL find to be frustrating is the service literature and the technical assistance that is available. It's nothing like Ford in my opinion with the workshop manuals being the worst.

Cummins isn't the problem...it's the fact that it is hitched to a Chrysler product :banghead:
I think it's always helpful to learn something new, so go for that...now working on FCA under warranty and trying to turn a profit is possibly a skill in it's self. A good parts guy for starters then all the stuff Keith mentioned....Thier scan tool is pretty nice. It would also seem that Cummins has their specs & info, then FCA will come out with thier own rules???

I wouldn't say Cummins isn't the problem. I have had to use their EDS  or "Expert Diagnostic System" which is guided diagnostics but you can still go off track really fast. My experience has shown that the Cummins 6.7L has similar problems to that of the Ford - EGT and NOx sensor and module faults, SCR faults, wiring problems, water pumps, EGR coolers and even a couple with bottom end bearing issues including one flying connecting rod. Apparently the B-series Cumming does not like extended oil change intervals. ;)  I Also refuse to call theit "hot line" ever again after one tech was really rigid and got snippy with me. And not that it matters but it was a female and I have learned from life that you never argue with a woman. It's not worth it.