17S15 "directed repair"...

Rate this topic

Alex Bruene

So, I really hate being "that guy", but I've kind of taken a bit of an eff-you stance on these directed repairs.  I currently have 3 17S15 permanent repairs on 148" WB Transits.   All of them have had the needle bearings come out of the u-joint caps during parts shipping.  I sent them all back to SSC stating the directed repair doesn't tell me what to do, how to do it and how to charge to put the u-joint caps together.  I'll let you know how it turns out!  :hitfan:

• Like 1

Yea I did 2 of those on Saturday and a 130" one this morning. All my needles were also loose in the u-joints caps. On the bright side, those u-joints sure are easier to change when there is no rust on the driveshafts yet.

Anyway, the new universal joints were the same. I sucked it up and spent 18 seconds putting them back together. Actually not a bad paying recall, seeing you can take the u joint apart without dropping the shaft. I know it won't be that easy on the rusted ones when we start to do them. I was actually hoping the "Berardi'd" time would be so terrible that I could stir up some shit... But it wasn't.

To be honest, after the first one, all I've been doing is removing the clip, and pulling down on the second driveshaft section and it's pushing the cup out of the shaft.  I've been reusing the joint in the new driveshaft rather than putting all the needle bearings back in the new joint.  And, by doing it that way, all you have to do is unbolt the flex coupling, loop and hanger and it leaves enough clearance to remove and reinstall the front section without doing anything else. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have yet to have an issue with u-joints OTHER than Ford ordering the wrong one for the repair. I do those shafts the same way but I do use the new joint. Since these have all been new stock vehicles to this point, the joint caps literally fall out of the driveshaft. I don't think this is going to be the case once we begin performing the permanent repair on the Transits already on the road for some time. We have done about 50 so far and have about 70 more. We had several large fleet sales including a public utility. Oh these are fun times. :(