Long Crank...hot or cold...worse when cold

Rate this topic

2008 F350 Super Cab, 129k miles...Used Car trade in.
6.4 diesel.
two codes... 2291 Low IPC when cranking and P0672 ..glow plug circuit cyl 2

fuel is clean, no contaminations.
filters was replaced.
New frame rail fuel pump.
Oil level is good, not over filled.
Looks like long block or complete motor was recently replace....too clean for 129k miles and paint on block / heads...no history.

When sitting overnight, cranks forever, no start...0psi FRP..... keep trying then boom..engine starts.
Runs good, no misfiring.

Brought to my bay, shut off, try re-start..cranks for good 20 second then starts....able to repeat that process over n over.

What threw me off is FRP goes to zero, cranks for 20 second FRP then goes to 5140 psi and then starts / run.

Low fuel pressure is 9psi.

perform High fuel pressure test under service function...passed!

Did high pressure bleed test, ..sporadic bubbles, not steady stream of bubble.... something tells m there is a leak but where?
Like I mention...someone nearly replaced everything....

I hate to ruin the celebration, but it's possible you have found another symptom and not the cause... The only times I've ever seen the orange valve fall out was when the system had gasoline contamination. Granted it may have been done quite a while ago, but it puts in to question the integrity of the entire fuel system.

• Like 1

I hate to ruin the celebration, but it's possible you have found another symptom and not the cause... The only times I've ever seen the orange valve fall out was when the system had gasoline contamination. Granted it may have been done quite a while ago, but it puts in to question the integrity of the entire fuel system.

Everything else may have been replaced previously. I don't know that people are replacing the fuel pickup for gas getting put in. I have never had one with gas personally but I would have never gave it a thought.

Jeff_E,

Everything was replaced previously.
Yes, you are correct, there may been fuel in system, I already did check, like I mention before....Everything was replaced previously.
Customer traded in for newer diesel, I got that job via used car department.... Complaint was hard starting, and MIL on.

After replacing sender / pick up and cyl number 2 glow plug, truck runs beautifully..... No issue at all.

Oh good, its probably one of those things that wouldn't act up if it had more than half a tank, but drop below that and she starts sucking air through the side of the tube where the orange thing used to be. Got to love used cars.