2006 e-350 battery cable repair

Rate this topic

that is a mighty nice crimp. i might need to grab a tool like that.

the odd time that i have to repair cable ends i usually grab a set of copper cable lugs from a jobber. a small dose of muriatic acid cleans up the wire, slide on some adhesive lined shrink tubing and then the lug and it gets 'crimped' with a set of channel-locks. i then proceed to put about a quarter roll of solder into the void of the lug with a butane torch.. if the terminal itself is poor or doesn't have a spot with threads then i'll install a new marine type terminal.

copper_cablelugs.jpg

If you find someone who does hydralic fittings they make awesome crimps on battery cables. Or you can buy a portable hydralic crimper. I have one and it does a nice job.

https://temcoindustrial.com/temco-hydraulic-cable-lug-crimper-th0006-5-us-ton-12-awg-to-00-awg.html

Steve, I usually cut the cable, then strip 3/4" or so of the casing off and slide heat shrink tube onto the cable. 

Then, use a pair of vise grips to hold the cable end of your choice and heat it while melting solder into the "bowl" where the cable goes. 

Hold the cable pointing down and insert it into the cable end full of molten solder. Hold till it cools enough to harden, (Ideally have someone nearby to pour water on it), slide the heat shrink down and shrink it. 

This makes for a permanent neat repair without overheating and melting the cable insulation.

• Like 1