spring tower replacment

Rate this topic

Steve Mutter

I am doing a frame replacement on a 2016 6.7 f250 and have to transfer the spring towers but I can't find the procedure in the work shop manual. Does anyone know if its ok to use high grade hardware or does it need to be riveted ?

I've seen guys remove front shock towers on 90's pickups to drill out broken exhaust manifold bolts and use high grade bolts to put them back on. Plus there was the frame noise recall on the 90's pickups that had you drill out the rivets and install bolts as well. Don't see why you couldn't make it work on your frame replacement.

I'd be worried about the liability of performing a repair that Ford doesn't endorse.  The bulletin states they only recommend repairing it the was it was originally made.  If you repair it differently, you are taking responsibility for it.  

I can't think of a single scenario where I would expose myself to that kind of liability.  

Joe

I'd be worried about the liability of performing a repair that Ford doesn't endorse. The bulletin states they only recommend repairing it the was it was originally made. If you repair it differently, you are taking responsibility for it.

I can't think of a single scenario where I would expose myself to that kind of liability.

Joe

Bolting brackets on frames has been widely accepted in both the automotive and heavy truck repair industries for decades.

I have a friend who shortens and legnthens truck frames as part of his buisness. He bolts stuff instead of riviting. And he is very very strict by the book.

Job is done, I used 10.9 metric grade bolts, washers, nylon locking nuts and red lock tight. It's a big fleet customer for us so this ones getting along road test and re check after the body shop is done on there end. Thanks

• Like 1

• 1 month later...