Clogged 6.7L MAP Sensors

Rate this topic

I am seeing more of this lately. You get a truck in with a low power complaint and maybe a check engine light on or sometimes not. You may or may not have codes to help you diagnose but this can affect the turbocharger and the EGR system. If you find yourself starting to perform pinpoint tests for air management and come up empty, before you beat your head against the wall spend 30 seconds and remove the MAP sensor and look at it. If it is clogged try an new one. Even if it is within the voltage range when checking the pressure sensor input bias - the WSM wants to see Map_A within 5 kPa or 0.73 psi of the BARO reading. Twice now I have seen them within that spec but because they are clogged they cause low end boost concerns, sensor correlation codes and EGR flow codes.

IMG_5696_copy.jpg

A very high percentage of 6.7's i have worked on have plugged map sensors. I have gotten into the habit of always checking the map sensor when doing any kind of diagnosis and most of the time it does not leave a code but will be completely plugged.

• Like 1

I personally will never "clean" any sensor ever again particularly with a customers vehicle. By cleaning it you could damage the sensor or just not be able to do it effectively. Just because the hole is accessible the internal areas are not.  As I recall they are not overly expensive to begin with but its not my money to begin with. How do I know? I tried it once and made it worse.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah i tried to clean one in a pinch one day. If you contact the electronics at the bottom of the hole it shorts out internally and renders it useless. I had to rob one off of a new truck instead to bale out my stranded customer.

• Like 1