Cat 3208 Injection Pump

Rate this topic

Hey guys I know I haven't been around in a few months but I really haven't been up to anything too exciting besides a bunch of OT plowing snow all winter.

Anyways we have this late 80s Ford L8000 bucket truck here that's had a small fuel leak in the valley for a month or so now.  Yesterday was the end though and it finally died while pulling a hill.  I got it running with a new fuel filter and bleeding the air from a few of the injector lines but I believe it's sucking air through the leaking throttle shaft seal.  The seal is leaking pretty bad now and I imagine it's losing prime because it won't start cold too well either.  I checked the shutoff solenoid and it seems to be working okay.  

I have read a little online about pulling apart and resealing the back half of the pump.  This seems pretty easy given this truck doesn't have a turbo or any extra stuff on top of the engine, just an intake manifold that needs removed.  I don't know if it's worthwhile to even attempt it or just get a whole new pump.

The truck ran great once it got a new filter making me think the pump is probably okay besides the leaking seal.  Any input?  

How bad is the leak?

A lot of the time any leak that allows fuel out when running can allow air in when not running but if it starts and runs better with a new filter then it's possibly okay but fuel leaks are never good. A pump that old would probably be best being swapped out with a rebuilt pump or have that one serviced if there is a good fuel shop around. When I see an older truck with a pump issue I just get them serviced. They come back fully redone and calibrated but I have only dealt with Ford New Holland engines and older Cummins engines. Never had to deal with a CAT pump.

We are pulling the pump and having it rebuilt.  The leak is pretty substantial, more than a few drips and it's leaking while it sitting and losing prime.  I would feel okay resealing it myself but I suppose it's just safer to have the whole thing gone over.

• Like 1

Well yeah, if it has decent miles on it it makes sense while it's out - replace everything in the rebuild kit and calibrate it. The customer will be happier in the end. I usually get my pumps back with the old parts in a bag.

I talked to the guy rebuilding it and he made note that the housing the shaft rides in usually wears out and they will install a bushing to prevent further wear.  I felt better knowing that it'll be fixed right.    

• Like 1