2013 Crank no start

Rate this topic

Hey Guys. 25 yr ford dealer diesel guy here and This one has me confused. I have a 2013 f350 6.7 crank no start. came from another shop. Stalled while driving now crank no start. Shop had replace the high pressure pump and f pcv. And then replace the high pressure pump again. I have done my own Diag and only code is p2291. pced test m leads to a faulty high pressure pump. Fuel sample is clean. Shop swears no metal debris was found. I have not found any debris. Ids pid data shows frp koeo fluctuating between 4 psi and 11 psi. cranking never goes above 535 psi. Have perform pced test m about a dozen times and still leads to high pressure fuel pump. I have verified the pump is timed properly. Am I missing something. I Know I need 2000psi to start truck. but no matter what I try or test I can not get the truck to start or prove anything is wrong except the high pressure fuel pump. I don't believe in 3 pumps doing the same concern. any hints or help would be greatly appreciated...

• tecanic1 changed the title to 2013 Crank no start

The pump does not need to be timed for the engine to start and run.

Aug 25 2014 5299-2011-2015 F-Super Duty - 6.7L Diesel - Runs Rough or Cranks no Start With MIL On And Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) P0087, P0088, P0089, P0093,P228F, P2291

Some 2011-2015 F-Super Duty 6.7L diesel equipped vehicles may exhibit an illuminated MIL and DTC P0087,P0088,P0089,P0093, P228F or P2291 associated with a rough idle or crank no start condition. If this condition is present, inspect fuse 33 in the Battery Junction Box (BJB) for an open condition. Use a Digital Volt/Ohm Meter (DVOM) to check the voltage on each pin of the fuse. If there is a voltage difference of more than .5V the fuse is open. Replace the fuse and re-evaluate the concern. If the fuse is not open or any DTC's other than the above are present, follow normal PC/ED diagnostics.

15 hours ago, 8WA Sman said:

If it was flooding a cylinder from a stuck injector would it show on a RC test? 

Yes and no. It all depends on the leak. One of them had 2 leaking and it only sounded weird while cranking for the first couple of revolutions. The other one did show weird on relative compression and I flat rated the compression test and only pulled out the glow plug on the hole that showed low in relative compression and missed the leaking injector until the high pressure pump didn’t fix it. 

So Thanks for the info. The Trick about removing glow plugs and cranking over worked.Found Leaking injector number 7. Engine did have a low Number 3 cylinder but that injector is not leaking. At this point customer deciding about possible engine or tear down

True. As a matter of fact most cylinder concerns will affect Rel Comp readings in other cylinders. The test may even kick out with some problems where fuel or oil is in a cylinder which tries to ignite causing excessive RPM changes. It does not take much for that to happen. When I get multiple cylinders showing low but only have a concern on one I usually correct the obvious problem and re-evaluate... unless it is a cylinder concern of course.