DT466E LOW ICP Hot

Rate this topic

JoeR

I got involved with a delivery truck last week.  It had low ICP when hot.  Cold started great.  Ran out of power in about 10 minutes and started really hard once it died.  When the shop first got it they diagnosed it as a bad HP pump.  That didn't fix it.   

After a string of catastrophes while trying to diagnose it, they ended up replacing the engine with a Jasper unit.  Everything new from oil pan to valve cover.  They transferred the new HP oil pump to the new engine and it STILL behaved the same.   

I drive it to verify the symptom.  Recorded the following video of the scan data.  

ICP is still too low when the oil is hot.  I air pressure tested it and after a short bit it started leaking back through the pump like crazy.  I had them order a second new pump.  I didn't care if it was the IPR.  They both came new when they got the pump.  We'll see if I was right next week, or if it continues to be a pain in the butt.

Joe

• Like 1

I had a good time at NACAT.  It's been a while since I presented for them.  Sorry I missed you.  I get out your way a couple of times a year.  I'll try tracking you down next time.  I'll buy lunch.  

I believe the truck is a 2005. Cool think about the bigger engines is that you can separate the engine from the pump and air test them separately, and it's easy to do!

Joe

That's not a DT466E, that's an EGR engine. A big pattern failure is the HP oil pucks leaking above the injectors, they can usually be identified by air testing them. Generally when I air test them I disconnect the HP hose and put a fitting in, which isolates the head from the HPP.  Setting up the hose the other way can test the IPR for function, also. If the injector spools are worn it can cause the same symptoms (not unusual). Did they use the injectors from the old engine? Give me a ring if you want, I'm free today.

Good Luck!