Engine harness replacement

Rate this topic

Working on a 08 6.4 in an f-350.  Had coolant temp and egr temp fault codes.  Start digging and the insulation is gone at the coolant temp connector. Unhooked it and start cutting back the loom and it’s gone soon as you touch it. The connectors are broken and held on with zip ties on almost all sensors you can see. The insulation is crumbling away where the coolant temp lead gets to the junction of the harness.   My question is what is involved to change the entire engine harness?  Partial cab lift and turbo and intake removal plus the accessories on front of the engine to access cam and crank sensors?   How many hours do you guys charge for this?  This thing is in tough shape........... runs a bit rough on start up for about 10 seconds, stft on cylinder two is 10, oil all over underneath.  Any input much appreciated, thank you in advance.

I have done one and a partial cab lift is not necessary. You need to remove the cooling fan and stator, to get to everything in the front. The only pain in the ass will be the crank sensor which is wedged between the ac compressor and block. It also snakes up behind the alternator bracket which isn't a big deal. Unbolt it and remove the 2 nuts then slide it forward and snake the harness up from behind. Remove the oil separator to allow room to pull the harness out from that side. As for the stft on 2, I would say a compression test and fuel system inspection are a must before anything else so your not wasting your time. Like most 6.4's you will probably find the high pressure fuel system and the short block are on there way out.