p207f

Rate this topic

Mbl35

Well everything is not okay if the PCM set a code. The pinpoint tests were revised some time ago and following them usually points to something but I did say usually. I find that trucks with a lot of idle time tend to have SCR conversion issues likely caused by insufficient filter cleaning. If I am not mistaken, not only does the DPF require cleaning but the SCR also benefits from the regeneration process by cleaning excess deposits on the substrate. Cummins software - INSITE - has a nifty  automated SCR efficiency test that begins with a full regeneration before testing the efficiency of NOx reduction through the catalyst. Ford's IDS injector cleaner test "I think" can monitor NOx reduction during the process but does not perform a regeneration. Finding information explaining this is near impossible. 

So taking instruction from the Hot-Line and SSMs over the years, when all else passes, Make sure the PCM calibration is up to date, perform one or two regenerations and perform a DPF parameter reset.  Then road test to validate NOx reduction by performing a successful SCR drive cycle which you will likely have to do anyway if there are any speed limitation or engine idled messages on the instrument cluster.

SSM 46824 - Effective Sep 18 2017 - 2013-2017 F-Super Duty/2015-2017 Transit/2016-2017 F650-750 - Diesel - Updated PC/ED Diagnostics Available for Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P207F and/or P20EE.

Pinpoint tests RD are very complete and should help identify any SCR, EGR, NOx sensor and intake system concerns. Expect to spend a lot of time.

Also I have decided that before performing any test to go ahead and perform the Reductant Injector test FIRST to verify it measures between 40-50ml and to obtain a sample of DEF for testing. Otherwise, by the time you get to that test (if you do) the exhaust will be too hot to deal with.

At this point, if unsuccessful it is time to consult the Hot-Line and see which part they recommend throwing at it. ;)

• 1 month later...

Agree takes a lot of time, have 2 in shop right now with p207f, both required replacing  ccv collar before reprogramming modules, and performing  scr road test which took around 10 miles for message to go off in ic for one, and other was already in idle only mode requiring different procedure to get out of idle mode. on f-350 after reprogramming had a hard fault for particulate matter sensor temp ckt. that was not there before programming, found other tsb or ssm stating replace sensor and module for dtc if within build dates, when removing sensor (after heating  up) the top part where you can grab with wrench twisted off leaving sensor and threads still in bung, removed tail pipe and broke sensor out, but could not save bung, parts priced tail pipe at 700 dollars, at which time customer declined, and being a construction company has technicians working for him who welded sensor into bung instead of replacing bung or tail pipe, and then sent back to me for drive cycle, which after wards set p207f. 2 of the studs broke off tail pipe connection and they did not replace with bolts or nothing, just bolted tail pipe up with 1 nut. likely used same gasket, part of problem is deciding what is proper price to charge for this concern.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive had a run of SCR and NOX related codes lately. Running the ppt on the pced online works slick for logging test results right on the ppt screens. Time consuming for sure with all the warm up and cool down cycles.