05 excursion 6.0 glow plug light

Rate this topic

I have a 2005 excursion. 6.0 4x4. glow plug light was intermittent. Replaced glow plug controller. Did not fix. Removed cluster. When I toughed the connector, the light worked. Cleaned and tightened terminals. Seemed to be ok for a while. Truck doesn't get used much. Eventually the check engine light came back on, for glow plug light ckt. Removed cluster again. Light will not come on at all. No issues starting hot or cold. I'm having a hard time getting a wire schematic for the glow plug light ckt. Anyone run into this before? Thanks for the help. 

A wiring diagram nor cleaning and tightening the HEC connections is going to help you in this case. The glow plug indicator is controlled by the cluster based on NETWORKED commands from the PCM. The lamp operates independently from the actual glow plug module meaning the light could be on or off regardless of the plugs being energized and how long. As a prove out, the indicator is commanded on at every key cycle even though the glow plug system may not be required.

With that said, a good scan tool, preferably a Ford IDS, that can monitor PIDs you can monitor the glow plug indicator parameter and compare the on or off command with the actual illumination of the light. If they don't match then the cluster likely had an internal circuit board concern and will need to be repaired/replaced. Also the light is probably something that can be turned on with the scan tool. (see pinpoint test T3 below) You COULD remove the cluster to see if the light is an actual bulb that twists into the back of the cluster assembly. With the light commanded on tap the bulb and the cluster housing to see if you can make the lam malfunction. Maybe take the bulb out, pop a new bulb in the holder and make sure the holder has a clean tight connection to the bulb and where it contacts the printed circuit on the back of the assembly.

My personal opinion? Sounds like the cluster itself. We see a number of cluster problems so it's not unlikely.

Here is the pinpoint test for the indicator if it helps.

PINPOINT TEST T : THE WAIT TO START INDICATOR IS NEVER/ALWAYS ON—DIESEL ONLY
T1  RETRIEVE THE RECORDED PCM AND INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER DTCS FROM BOTH CONTINUOUS AND ON-DEMAND SELF-TESTS
  • Connect the diagnostic tool.
  • Ignition ON.
  • Enter the following diagnostic mode on the scan tool: PCM and Instrument Cluster DTCs.
  • Retrieve the recorded PCM and instrument panel cluster DTCs from both the continuous and on-demand self-tests.

Are the any DTCs retrieved?

Yes If PCM DTC P0381 or instrument cluster B2658, GO to T5 . For all other PCM DTCs, REFER to the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual. For all other instrument cluster DTCs, REFER to Section  419-10.
No GO to T2.

T2  CHECK THE WAIT TO START INDICATOR PROVE-OUT

NOTE: The wait to start indicator should prove out for approximately 1 to 10 seconds, then turn off.

• Ignition OFF.
  • Ignition ON.
  • Monitor the wait to start indicator during prove-out.

Does the wait to start indicator prove out correctly?

Yes The system is operating correctly at this time.
No GO to T3.

T3  CARRY OUT THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER WARNING LAMPS AND CHIME ACTIVE COMMAND USING THE DIAGNOSTIC TOOL
  • Enter the following diagnostic mode on the scan tool: Instrument Cluster Active Command.
  • Select the instrument cluster WARNING LAMPS AND CHIME active command. Trigger the ALL LAMPS active command ON then OFF. Observe the wait to start indicators.

Does the wait to start indicator illuminate when commanded ON and turn off when commanded OFF?

Yes GO to T4.
No GO to T5.

T4  CHECK FOR CORRECT PCM OPERATION
  • Disconnect all PCM connectors.
  • Check for:
    • corrosion
    • pushed-out pins
  • Connect all PCM connectors and make sure they seat correctly.
  • Operate the system and verify the concern is still present.

Is the concern still present?

Yes INSTALL a new PCM. REFER to Section  303-14B. TEST the system for normal operation.
If the problem remains, REINSTALL the original PCM and GO to T5 .
No The system is operating correctly at this time. The concern may have been caused by a loose or corroded connector. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.

T5  CHECK FOR CORRECT INSTRUMENT CLUSTER OPERATION
  • Disconnect all instrument cluster connectors.
  • Check for:
    • corrosion
    • pushed-out pins
  • Connect all instrument cluster connectors and make sure they seat correctly.
  • Operate the system and verify the concern is still present.

Is the concern still present?

Yes INSTALL a new instrument cluster. REFER to Instrument Cluster (IC) in this section. TEST the system for normal operation.
No The system is operating correctly at this time. The concern may have been caused by a loose or corroded connector. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.

Thank you Kieth. It has an LED, not a twist bulb. I understand how the network works. I'm limited to my snap on modis ultra. Not sure if I can see the command. I didn't see it on the scanner side. Maybe on the global side. I will look at that. Thank you for the pinpoint test. I will keep you updated. 

I performed the pinpoint tests. The light does not come on. I do have a B2658 Wait to start warn indicator circuit open. It looks like the cluster is at fault. My snap on scanner can't monitor the glow plug light on command. I did a glow plug test, just because, and no codes. It's also frustrating that my scanner picked up the B2658, but in code tips, it's not listed. Any thoughts on sending this cluster out for repair, or where you would recommend buying a new one? Dealer? Thank you for the help.

So could you command the cluster lights on with the scan tool? You could also run the cluster self test with the odo reset button. I have used http://www.aaellc.com/vehiclelist.htm#Ford for cluster repairs.

If it was mine I would check the solder joints on the board first.

• 1 month later...