ESP.....

Rate this topic

cbriggs

Anyone been having a nightmare with esp lately? Man it has gotten bad. Have a 10 flex 3.5 (my wifes) with a powertrain esp on it. Has a piled up water pump that completely filled the engine with coolant and metal filings. Spent 4 weeks going back and forth with esp prior approval to put a complete engine in it. First estimate we sent in was for a long block, after finding 3L of coolant in the oil and severe metal debris everywhere I looked. They had us send 5 separate groups of pictures, completely remove and photograph water pump, (even though there was oil and coolant running out of weep hole, and coolant running out of water pump pulley, seen with a boroscope.), remove all 4 cams and photograph journals and remove oil pan and photograph inside. They decided via photograph that it only needs a short block and one head. We were to send the other head to a machine shop to have it flushed. (nearest one is 300km away). The price of a short block and one head was $400 less than a long block, without including gaskets and extra labour. It would actually cost more to do this. After pondering it for 2 weeks they came back and said it looks like it may be more feasible to install a long block, please provide and estimate to perform a long block replacement.(first estimate we submitted) One of the service/ parts girls literally spent 10+ hours dicking around with this, that we do not get reimbursed for. This thing broke down in the first week of august, and it is still sitting outside my bay. By the time it is fixed it will be an 8 week turnaround, given the last 2 weeks was spent waiting for an engine from the USA. When we asked what the customer is supposed to do in the meantime (after 2 weeks had gone by)  their response was put them in a rental. There is no car rental agency within 250km of us, not to mention a rental car for 8 weeks would cost more than the price of the repair itself.

We've had several other similar experiences in the last bit with them, none quite as bad as this, but still ridiculous.

Our dealer principle tells me that ford sold the esp division to an outside company, and it is no longer handled by ford itself. After this experience I am having a hard time recommending my customers purchase a ford esp policy, and I definitely will not be. 

Had a police explorer here with the same problem , took 8 weeks start to finish, our dealership hasn't sold esp in the 7 years I've been here, we use a much easier aftermarket warranty that pays retail times and parts,  and there real easy to deal with even on big engine and transmission jobs. Read somewhere a while back that esp still belongs to ford , just a different division of it

I was told that Ford no longer owns it by our warranty admin. but we don't know who has taken over. He has gone rounds with them many times as well. They seem to be experts at wasting peoples time.