v-10 Dumping fuel at all times

Rate this topic

blown99

Need some help on this one.  Customer came a bought a ford reman 6.8 v-10 from me for his 09 f450 tow truck.  Then decided to have me install the engine (I never heard the old engine run)  Swapped the long block, fired it up, had one of my guys run it down the road (not sure how far he drove it)  Came back with a all is good.  I through ids on it, had a count of 750 misfires on #1, tossed a coil on #1, fired it up, good amount of blue colored smoke out the tailpipe as it ran for a minute or two in the shop.  Took it for a road test - immediatly noticed it to be on the doggier side when accelerating initially.  Got it onto the highway - ran ok, got off the highway and it was running rough at idle, gave it a little throttle and it smoothed out, nursed it back to the shop - about a mile.  Truck was running very rough once back at the shop, power balance showed many cylinders on each bank low, number 7 was dead.  Lean faults for both banks, smoking out hte tailpipe (running rich - raw gas smell)  Pulled the plugs, #7 and #6 spark plug gaps were closed up, all plugs were wet with gas, most pluggs were black.  Reinstalled and ran the engine (replaced the 2 plugs with closed gasps)  Ran better but not like it should be.  Relative comrpession showing #7 low at times and can hear an unevan crank but suspect that due to the overfueling conditions.  Checked #7 injector with a noid lite - no issues found - was suspecting a failing driver in the pcm allowing it to stay open.  Also noticed that the inake runner on #4 gets so incredibly hot after running the truck for 5 minutes in the shop that you can't touch it...all the others are just slightly warm.  Fuel pressure is maintaining, appears to be dumping fuel, has anyone seen aything going on inside the intake manifold that could restrict air?   Customer says that the truck just started to run rough after he got off  a highway ramp - his mechanic also found the same 2 plugs to have the gaps closed up on the old engine.   Any ideas??

And he had a new cat put on just before he brought it to me - cat would glow red in just a matter of a few minutes of running - I have not checked backpressure yet