Mercon v in a 4r100

Rate this topic

Afternoon gents.  I have a 4R100 in a 2001 f550.  Servicing the trans And you can no longer buy Mercon from Ford for some time now.  I know there was a big controversy back in the day about using mercon v in a 4r100.  I have been told that it will fry the clutches(independent trans shop) was told is compatible now just pour it in(ford parts Dept). Was told to Drain, change filter, flush 4-6 quarts through when you refill via the return cooler line at the back of trans and you will be good to go ( ford service Dept).  Looking for an answer from someone or group in this case I can trust.  What have you guys seen with this scenario, what’s your preferences??

• 4 weeks later...

I know we discussed this years ago... it seems there was always a big to-do about using the correct fluid and what you must never do. Words from Ford. Then one day we were told that MERCON 5 was all of a sudden magically backward compatible with everything that was no longer available. I just would n ot use it forward in any trans requiring synthetic premium like SP, LV and whatever else comes at us in the future especially in a heavy duty trans like the Torqshift models.