death wobble

Rate this topic

Looking for some input on this truck, 2012 F350 4x4 srw, supercab, 6.2 gas, stock, 310k on it.  Has cooper all terrains, not off road tires on it, stock size.   Customer said he nearly hit a guardrail when it started a death wobble, and it wasn't the first time the truck has done it to him.  It was at another shop, and he claims to have spent thousands on the front end trying to stop this.  I didn't see anything "new".  

On test drive it didn't wobble, but it had poor, very poor wheel control, bigger bumps would have it changing lanes as it would just judder all over the place.  Steering wheel never oscillated.

Tire pressures were 65f 75r.  I did raise the fronts to 75. 

Found the following, original front and rear shocks, aftermarket steering stabilizer, that was dead.  Right outer lower tie rod end shot play at LF wheel was nearly 2 inches. Also found frozen LR caliper and burned up pads on that wheel.  Track bar ball joint was tight, I couldn't get it to move and the bushing had no side to side play, a small amount fore and aft.  All bushings in the large trailing arms looked good, no cracks, no excessive movement. 

Customer authorized all work, after finishing work, it drove much better, I didn't have any wheel oscillation and the wheel control over the same bumps was vastly improved.

Should this thing return, what else should I be looking at?

You likely nailed it. Replacing the "loose" and worn parts is the first step. Anything that allows that mono-beam axle to move can start the oscillation. Remember that setting the caster to the full negative end of the specification has always been recommended to address this issue.

Okay, so we don't like the word negative - unfortunately that is how it is discussed in my shop like "set the caster to the negative end of the spec" for example.  Let's call it "nominal" as the bulletins put it or "reduce" caster to the lower end of the specification. Here are the two bulletins covering this concern. Hope these are useful:

TSB 07-10-10.pdf TSB 18-2268.pdf