"Our Mechanic Looked At It"

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

You know those customers; ones that know all about it and those that had their guy check it out first. We have all had these experiences where another mechanic has put their hands and scan tools all over a vehicle before giving up and sending it to you. I say "congratulations!" and "hooray for me!"

The intermittent problem that they had set the codes and thusly the freeze frame data - it then comes to you... with no codes and you have to replicate the problem. The multiple fault scenario where once again we have Mr. Eraser clearing codes. There is a hard fault that resets codes but there WAS another concern, maybe intermittent that is now not going to diagnosed unless you get lucky and catch it. Customers get pissed when you release the "fixed" vehicle only to have the check engine light come back on in a day or so. Then there is Mr. Befuddle who goes poking around or disconnecting things only to set an extra dozen erroneous codes for you to sift though. Now I get this shit from a large utility company. WTF!  :angry:

I had a truck at the beginning of the week that had been to a different dealership they gave up on it because it was modified. Then it went to performance shop they tried a new tune in programmer then took it back out. When I got it was programed stock with all egr and egt codes on demand. Had to get customer to bring in programmer and program it to even start looking at it.