Transit Connect ETC issue

Rate this topic

Fredsvt

Second vehicle with this issue, in a short period of time, other was a 2008 F250 with a 5.4 3v.

Just about every code for the ETC was spit out by this, check engine light, wrench light, engine would race, then drop two cylinders and chug at around 1100 rpm.

Looking at scan data, throttle opening at idle was 91%, all APP values were zero, TPS values were also zero.

I started by following diag for TPS at throttle body, once I verified reference voltage at throttle body and wiring to PCM checked out ok.  I left throttle body unplugged and noticed, I have APP voltage values on scan again.  Plug it in, dead.  It seems the throttle body was pulling the 5v ref for the APP and the throttle down.

Ordered new throttle body, getting argument from our Ford parts guy that he's never sold one. 

Opened up the old one, and found 1 line to TPS "rotted".  Pins going into connector clean and tight, since the location of the TPS and throttle body place it right in the line of crap flowing through the radiator and up under the hood, the weather-proofing appears to have failed.  Same thing I found on the 5.4 I mentioned at the beginning, the cowl was dripping right down on the throttle body, causing the insides of the assembly to completely rust and corrode badly.

20190508_145818.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...