DEF Gauge Stuck at 1/8

Rate this topic

It's a 2017 and the tank empties but the gauge stays a little over 1/8 tank and the 500 miles to empty warning stays on the message center and never changes. Anyone see this? There really are no diagnostics for this symptom.  There are no relevant codes to the DEF quality sensor or for the CAN-2 network. PID monitor shows just under 3 liters in the tank. I pulled the pump out and the tank is  bone dry.

I am putting a tank in it...  (the sensor is not serviceable)

The level sensors pid data on I have looked at on older ones are stair stepped/digital, any sensor that is not submerged will not be pulled low the same amount. I got same pics I can post if needed/interested.

I replaced the tank/sender and performed the refill activation the removed most of the fluid. It is reading lower than when it first came in indicating more with an empty tank. Yes, the level sensing is immediate but the percentage value that is calculated and done slowly acting as anti-slosh. Holy shit you aint kidding that it happens slowly! We continue to road test and as soon as we see the 250 mile warning I will consider it fixed.

• 1 year later...

I fought with one of these always reading low and the fix after many attempts was the harness on the tank. Hotline had me replace the tank multiple times. I would send the truck out full gauge would read full then as soon as it got low customer would add def but gauge would never change.  Good customer that was just in this week. Been good since. 

• Like 1

Fast forward to today almost two yeas later, this very truck returned with the same problem. It has the check engine light on for no reductant pressure because the owner wanted to see how long the message would remain the same... and ran the tank dry.  I verified the PIDS and the actual DEF tank read empty. The tank took all of 20 liters - 3 jugs. I stopped and looked at the pids after each jug and they were accurate. This tells me there is something else going on here... in the cluster or a software concern.