6.4L FUEL SYSTEM HELP.

Rate this topic

Im not super knowledgeable on any of the powerstroke diesels before the 6.7. and i am working on a problem child 6.4l. I am hoping there might be some insight i am missing. 

Customer is our largest fleet customer, and the towed me a 2010 f450 cab and chasis, no start p0087, It started right up for me, so i changed the filters. and could not repeat the problem, sent it on its way. it got towed in two days later, same code. this time it wont start, and wont build hp, low pressure seems good.  performed testing found metal debris, and quoted out a fuel system( i should have quoted a complete engine :), i did not think they were going to go through with the repair (truck has 355000km). but they did. 

I put a fuel system in it, replaced all the lines at the engine cleaned the tank and low pressure lines, and sent it on its way.  it got towed in 2 months and 5000km later, no start, lots of codes, catalyst over temp, cylinder contribution, misfire monitor cam crank misaligned, p0087, and no start, found wif, aerated fuel, and lp fuel below sepc.

Replaced lp fuel pump, tank vent, drained tank and put in fresh fuel(no reason, just wanted to make sure there was no water), got the truck running, and found misfires on cly 1 2 4.  All testing pointed to injector replacment, did not see any debris in the fuel system. replaced all three injectors, did a couple of manaul regens to burn the fuel out of the exhaust. truck ran ok. 

less then 1 week later the truck is towed back again, smoking, and low performance on cyl 6. at idle cyl 6 is basically dead on power balance, if i bring up to 1100-1500 rpm,  it smooths out, but still smokes, reset the fuel trims and it got better, but still a 10-15 rpm drop on cyl 6, or 40 rpm drop on manual injector balance. stft has cyl 6 pegged at 20%. 

My plan is to removed the lh valve cover and look for debris in the fuel system again, but if its still clean, do i just throw another injector at it? i have a hard time believing i got 4 bad injectors, and i dont want it to come back again. 

anything I am missing? should i try to SPW a new fuel system? 

thanks for any insight

If there are no signs of contaminants in the fuel I would SPW the injector. Who knows who Ford has rebuilding these things now. I've seen it before. You didn't mention the codes. Any injector circuit codes? The under valve cover harnesses can give you issues with pin fit sometimes. Something to think about.