DEF Injector Cleaning Test

Rate this topic

A short while back the new DEF Injector Cleaning Test was added to the IDS.  Has anyone ever used this test to successfully recover an injector that had low volume or a bad spray pattern?  I've only used it once and it didn't change a thing.  That test just got added to the Snap-on scanners, and I was hoping someone had better experiences with it than I did.

Joe

I don't think it is THAT new unless Ford changed it. I used it a couple of weeks ago and it seems unchanged. Anyway, I have never seen it fix anything. This last time I used it the injector was leaking and dispensing too much DEF. Still leaked after I "cleaned it"

I thought it came out a year or so ago, no?   If not, then I guess I was late figuring it out.  I used it on the IDS but now that it is available on ours I'll add it to my training classes.  Crummy to hear that it didn't work for you.  I was hoping I was in the minority.

Joie

Let not your heart be troubled my friend! I know a few people found it successful and I thought I read it here at some point. I don't think they would have added it to IDS if it didn't have a need is my thinkin.

As far as SCR problems for me it's mostly bad filter assemblies and harness problems a distant second. The diagnostics for several DTC's will now have you run the cleaning routine but I usually begin my diagnostics with the Dosing Measurement test which confirms to me it is dispensing the right amount of DEF with the correct pressure and duty cycle parameters, allows me to observe the spray  and look for drops at the end. You also get to start out with a sample of DEF to test and verify it's quality. THEN I begin my pinpoint testing which gets the exhaust hot some times.  

Thanks for that.  When it comes to SCR troubles I see WAY more of it with Cummins.  Most problems are related to DEF crystals.  Like this:

def.jpg

• Like 1