2016 Escape. 6F35 Fwd. 1.6l EcoBoost.

Rate this topic

Has some funky shifting and engagement issues. Found transmission fluid in the bulkhead connector. Fluid is black and metallic. Removed and tore down transmission. Lots of metal in bottom of case, almost sand like in texture but not big chunks. All internals that I can see are fine. Some heat marks on intermediate clutch pressure plate. Steels and fibers are in surprisingly good shape. Torque converter looks like it was overheated. Does all this metal come from the torque converter? Looks like they got it stuck in a snow bank and possibly tried to drive it out.

Just 6 gear incorrect ratio code. Thing has intermittent no reverse. And harsh downshifting, even with the select shift. Once it held 3rd for a while then shifted to 4th. I suspect most of this is caused by all the metal in the main control. I'm just stumped as to where all the metal came from. I haven't got the pump apart yet. I don't think low pressure is an issue though. 

• 1 month later...

The input shaft is bad about stripping out where the splines meet up in the converter. At first glance they look ok but if they are at fault they will be intact but kinda flat and wider than normal. This scenario sends a bunch of powered metal into every nook and cranny.