Glowplug failure

Rate this topic

ErickBaker

We had a 1992 F-250 towed in today for a no start and customer informs us they replaced all 8 glow plugs about a month ago due to a hard start condition.

I decided to check out the relay first since the truck was supposed to have "known-good" glow plugs. The relay comes on and works like should but when I measured voltage drop across the contacts it was .6 volts. I felt like this was too high so I condemned the relay.

Knowing how things tend to go when customers try to "fix" their own vehicles I decide to test glow plugs. As it turned out all glow plugs where electrically open. FWIW the customer used Autolite glow plugs. I replaced the relay and voltage drop decreased to .03V and the glow plugs all worked properly.

I guess what I'm looking for is a reason all 8 glow plugs would die after a month. I've been mulling it over all day and can't come up with a reason. I don't see how the weak contacts in the relay could cause the failure. Could it be poor quality aftermarket parts? The truck is fixed but I'm not sure if I got to the root cause. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer2.gif

We had a 1992 F-250 towed in today for a no start and customer informs us they replaced all 8 glow plugs about a month ago due to a hard start condition.

I decided to check out the relay first since the truck was supposed to have "known-good" glow plugs. The relay comes on and works like should but when I measured voltage drop across the contacts it was .6 volts. I felt like this was too high so I condemned the relay.

.6v is on the high side, but probably wouldn't cause a hard start.

Knowing how things tend to go when customers try to "fix" their own vehicles I decide to test glow plugs. As it turned out all glow plugs where electrically open. FWIW the customer used Autolite glow plugs. I replaced the relay and voltage drop decreased to .03V and the glow plugs all worked properly.

I guess what I'm looking for is a reason all 8 glow plugs would die after a month. I've been mulling it over all day and can't come up with a reason. I don't see how the weak contacts in the relay could cause the failure. Could it be poor quality aftermarket parts?

Yes.

The truck is fixed but I'm not sure if I got to the root cause. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer2.gif

Did you change just the relay, or the whole controller? I've had nightmares with these old IDI's and aftermarket parts, and in this situation I'd only install 8 OE plugs and an OE controller, and the problem won't come back. This is one area where OE really matters.

Good Luck!