3.5 Ecoboost Makes Oil

Rate this topic

Working on a 2017 Navigator that supposedly makes about a quart of oil in the first 500 miles of an oil change cycle and the holds that level for the rest of the interval. 60k on it. Customer says it’s been doing it since he bought it 12k ago. Oil smells faintly like fuel. Customer is a tech at an indy shop. He sent out two oil samples and both of them have come back with high levels of fuel in the oil. 10% the first sample at 5k. 5% the second sample with (I think) 1k on the oil.  Customer bought and replaced the high pressure fuel pump with an oe one himself. 

Hotline had me perform cylinder leakage test and check for fuel in the cylinders after a hot to cold soak. I have done every fuel system test in the ids. Now they want me to drain the oil and leave it sit overnight with the drain plug out and turn the low pressure pump on and off several times and see if I get gas coming out of the drain plug. 

Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

Nothing concrete. My theory is that after it reaches a certain concentration level it it able to burn off the excess hence not allowing it to continue to grow. 

Service manager decided we are gonna replace the hpfp and change oil and have the customer come to us so we can monitor it.