Cummins VGT Actuator Extraction

Rate this topic

Can't say I was not warned about this. Yeah... just remove the 4 bolts and take it off the turbo! I had to drill the hex head off of the bolt after it stripped out due to rust then I had to work on it and pry the damn thing off but it would not budge until I cut a slice out of the housing. The remaining "stud" came out easily after that. Why in God's name did they design that one bolt hole through the actuator housing to be open to the atmosphere?  It's right next to the turbine housing and it rusted and seized inside of the hole.  WTF!

CumminsVGTactuator.jpg

Keith,

I'm going to buy a lottery ticket tonight.  I just witnessed something I thought I'd never see:  A guy that worked on 6.0s complaining about something on a Cummins!  :surprise:

I do agree that that bolt sucks sometimes.  I wouldn't trade with you though.  

Glad it worked out.

Joe

• Like 1

I am an equal opportunity complainer when I spy with my little eye a fucked up piece of engineering that could have been corrected long ago. Even if one of those bolts broke off in the turbo housing I would have repaired it. Stupid reason to replace the turbo IMHO. I am still wondering if my core charge will be charged for cutting up the actuator housing but the fact that the part I pulled out of the box was completely new I am thinking not. Other techs that have had to resort to similar tactics in dealing with this say they never heard anything about it.