6.4L Training Tips & Pointers

Rate this topic

I just got back from the 6.4 class, thought i would add some things.

As long as the dpf is at 572 degrees F the unit will passively regen, so the ideal situation would be to work the truck hard like it was built for anyway.

Perform a manual regen after a repair that could have dumped excess hydro carbons into the dpf, and clear kam, our teacher said to clear kam even after fuel filter replacement.

A 0.00015" piece of trash is enough to wreck an injector. stressing the importance of fuel caps.

Keep fingers away from turbo actuator rod, if you lean against the unit while climbing around on the engine and someone cycles the key you could loose a finger.

Alot of ghost codes on this thing, you have to really keep your wits about ya.

Maf_HZ can now be used as an added indicator of egr flow. It has been said that the motor can be repaired in theory by pid data only without popping the hood.

If you have the turbo charger heat shield off and there are bolts in the top two holes between the turbine halves, remove them because the're for assembling the units only, and if left in can cause fractures due to heat up expansion diferences.

These items may be a rehash of what you already know. I think the idea of having fuel pressure in the 25000 psi range in the injectors and being returned imediately to the fuel cooler at 3 to 8 psi is pretty neat trick. The fuel cooler is gonna look kinda funny or messy if the crush washer or injector cup goes out.

Perform a manual regen after a repair that could have dumped excess hydro carbons into the dpf, and clear kam, our teacher said to clear kam even after fuel filter replacement.

Perform a manual regen? I haven't been able to do this. It revs the engine up and watches DPF pressure, and if it is clean, it won't allow a manual regen to be done. Is there a trick I'm not seeing?

I was screwing around with a new truck just for giggles and grins and tried a manual regen. IDS displayed a message saying that a regen was not needed and the function swiftly ended.

Take a look at the screen shots I sent you, I think those regen shots are there. I've also tried it on 3 different 6.4's with the same results. It wouldn't run on an IH with the scan tool, either. On my "research list" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif is hooking a Mityvac to the DPF sensor and tricking the PCM into needing/doing a regen. Anything else I should put on the list?

Manual Regen is actually requuired to be available by the EPA, but ONLY if the ECM determines that the DPF is plugged to a certain percentage and it has not been able to clean it (probably grocery-getters in the off-season while the husband drives the Focus to and from work). We were originally going to try putting some air pressure to the DPF sensor, but it has a LOW operating thresold.

Until recently, I didn't realize that the EPA does not prohibit the use of a manual regen button in LD trucks. This actually common on MD trucks, but I thought that (for somewhat obvious reasons) the EPA would not certify it's use on the lighter trucks. Nope, it's 100% legal, but Ford/GM/Dodge have chosen not to use one.

- Jay

• 4 weeks later...

Until recently, I didn't realize that the EPA does not prohibit the use of a manual regen button in LD trucks. This actually common on MD trucks, but I thought that (for somewhat obvious reasons) the EPA would not certify it's use on the lighter trucks. Nope, it's 100% legal, but Ford/GM/Dodge have chosen not to use one.

- Jay

Yea, I can see it now......... A line of SD owners around the block waiting for the service dept to open on Monday morning because "when I push that button on the dash, my truck makes a different noise and my fuel economy gets worse.. And, dont tell me thats NORMAL!!!!" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

Some things are there (or not there in this case) to protect the ignorant.. The manual regen is there in the IDS so a "technician" can perform a manual regen in the event that he thinks it needs one and hasnt had one.. Bottom line, the PCM makes the final decision no matter who pushes the button..

JMO /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

I DARE you to make that post on any other Forum - especially The Diesel Stop! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

Well, I would, however, I rufuse to join sites like that... No offence to the guys that run it, but I dont have time to debate why we shouldnt run with the EGR unplugged or how to get around the DPF, or how its the dealers fault that my truck blew up with stacked programers on it.....Hell, I dont even go to the Ford message boards for that reason.. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif Didnt there used to be a "soap box" smiley?

You had to poke me this morning didnt you /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif