IDS No Com on 7.3. New trucks no problem

Rate this topic

Just wondering if there is a problem with my VCM2 or my cable.  I can't communicate with any 7.3 truck but the 6.7s are no problem at all.  I grabbed an IDS from a shop around the corner and it works fine on both trucks.  

If it was a Snap-on scanner I'd suspect the cable long before I suspected the scanner.  I can't get back to those trucks for a couple of weeks to test it, so I figured I'd ask the experience of the group.  Ever seen a bad cable or VCM2?

Joe

On 10/26/2020 at 3:08 PM, 8WA Sman said:

So did you use the other shops VCM only?

Nope.   I grabbed his VCM and cable.   Never thought about swapping cables until after I left. 

Joe

My shop has gone through a couple of those cables... have a third that it's days are numbered. It seems the 5 year old's I work with are just brutal with the equipment. They just yank the cable from the DLC... and the outer casing of the cable has now pulled out of the strain relief  ribbing and the individual wires are exposed. It's a matter of time. Same VCM, the USB cable is in the same condition at the VCM connector. Pisses me off. My company has yet to upgrade to a VCMM... our IDS lap tops are in sad condition except the one I keep near me in my bay, which has my Cummins and MD Truck applications on it is in good shape. I noticed too many guys coming in and grabbing it... it seems one IDS is out of commission and the other is not preferred... one guy claims it hasn't been updated... so I checked and it is up to date but the keyboard is missing keys. I don't know which is worse... my company or the children in the shop.