FDRS Oscilloscope examples

Rate this topic

Preface: My dealership still won't buy an VCMM package, but that is another topic for another day. I have a tough diagnosis going on with a 2020 F250 with a 6.2L in progress. I haven't needed to scope a crank sensor in quire a while and the last CKP sensors I looked at were 6.0L diesels. Fast forward to today I am looking at a 2020 6.2L using the old VMM - yes you can use the oscilloscope in stand alone mode - a 2020 Super Duty requires FDRS and the VCMM otherwise. 

Anyway, this engine has a three wire sensor and the signal is different than the older two wire sensors that produce a sine wave pattern. Unless I am mistaken. The examples of "typical CKP sensor signals"  given in the IDS/VMM are probably outdated. Does anyone know of published examples that are more current? I am not sure WTF I am looking at!

9 hours ago, 8WA Sman said:

I am guessing the waveform example in the PC/ED is not helpful?

Not for lack of effort, I cannot find any. I looked in the appropriate pinpoint tests and sections... still looking. It makes sense these examples would be published so if you know exactly where I can find them please let me know.  The only depiction I can find is in the PCED section 1, Ignition Systems, Overview but its a drawing, not a scope screen capture or example. Finding a like vehicle for comparison at this moment is proving difficult. I also downloaded the VMM software even though I can't use it, looked in the Reference Recordings session only to find it empty.

YES!  Just for clarity, what were your probe connections? What I got looks nothing like that in fact it looks nothing like a sine wave. Also I am using the old VMM oscilloscope in stand alone mode since IDS wont work with a 2020 but I assume a scope is a scope and I should get the correct results regardless. AD850E43-B2C0-4116-8DF8-20EFAC175CB1.png