Same Shit, Over And Over

Rate this topic

Are those bolts stainless? They are not magnetic but they don't look stainless.  Aside from that, being stainless has done nothing beneficial other than preventing them from rotting in my opinion. hey just suck. I have had many break in the exhaust manifold and recently had my first in an EGR valve.  As you can see by the pictures I have gotten good at drilling and rethreading... with ir without a drill guide. The repair shown was free hand and I left the intakes on to do it. They key is a right hand drill and a new 1/8" bit to drill the pilot.

Stainless steel and stainless alloy bolts strike me as being a cure worse than the illness. They haunt me on other brands and on non automotive equipment where they use them.  I can tap a 9mm socket (and yes, FINALLY get to use one of those) onto a 10mm bolt head reduced in size by rust and keep on wrenching. A SS bolt that is as brittle as glass but has a pristine bolt head does me no good.  Maybe stainless steel fasteners are manufactured in a joint venture with DeWalt, Snap-on, Milwaukee, Black n Decker, etc. Tools and drill bit sales are certainly better as a result of them. I have found Milk of Magnesia to work on ones I have serviced and then have to go back again later. The oil in anti-seize can burn and stick stuff. M of M leaves that magnesium powder trace and I guess does the same to fasteners that it does in the human body: makes shit come loose.

The grade stainless they use on fasteners almost isn't worth the trouble, definitely not made to be repeatedly taken apart and reassembled.  We have a stainless bolt bin at work that we occasionally use but not for anything that needs to have strength.  Hell it seems like more often than not the threads gall just tightening a nut to a bolt.   

• Like 1