Power Smoke PRO

Rate this topic

I will be getting an in-person demonstration, but I am already sold on this tool. Yes I believe all Ford dealerships should be required to have one. If you have actually tried to smoke test the Power Stroke for leaks using a standard EVAP tester you will have no problem thinking this is the cat's ass!

I will probably just continue induce smoke then use shop air to add PSI if needed. If I was to buy one it looks like GM :puke:has the best price.

The adapter kit would come in handy, I may just purchase them.

I've been using high pressure smoke ( up to 120 psi) for finding boost leaks and air brake leaks for about 15 years.   They are definitely nice to have.  the only down side is that once the pressure starts getting up there, the smoke will blow away from where the leak is.  If you're in tight quarters, the leak  appears to be coming from a different area than what it is.  Thankfully you can get oil with dye in it.  The fluorescent dye will deposit at the site of the leak.   Sometimes soapy water can help too.  

Joe

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, today I was given the in person demonstration and the set up of the unit along with inserting and inflating the block-offs was super quick and easy. We had the thing running and in less than a minute we were pressurizing everything from the air inlet tube to the tail pipe and found a CAC leak.  This is going to make inspecting for leaks for air management and aftertreatment easy.

I have been given some time to use this tool and do some more advanced testing. I have some ideas but I want to extend an invitation to you all to make suggestions that I can try. Even using IDS/FDRS for dynamic testing and so on. 

An empty cooling system can be pressurized and even smoked - keep that in mind.

• 1 month later...

I am reaching for this tool more and more. Now I have other guys in the shop asking me to bring it on over... finding non-obvious exhaust leaks on Dodge gas engines, CAC leaks on Ecoboost Transits and just today a leak in a new 2021 Explorer catalytic converter under the heat shield. 

I am working on an issue with the exhaust bladder that affects  cab and chassis 6.7L diesels... it seems the last bend in the exhaust pipe makes the bladder catch the upstream heat diffuser.... I have a modification in the works. 

• 1 month later...

Well I have been using this tool more and more and I am finding some leaks along with proving out the air management systems and exhaust systems which is equally as important as finding leaks. And I have started taking pictures and making some videos too. Here is a 2016 F350 with chronic DPF plugging issues that another tech has been fighting. The video shows a NEW aftertreatment filter leak at the inlet flange. Notice the uneven tightening of the flange and I can report the bolts were also under torqued. Straightening and retightening did not seal the leak however. I had o separate the connection and clean the downpipe with sand paper which was also ineffective. I took a hammer to the flange on both sides then straightened the flange. THEN it sealed. The video shows the leak tested with 5 PSI test pressure with a 50% loss on the system gauge and flow meter.