Exhaust Filters, Engine Oil And Manual Regen

Rate this topic

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't running a few regens recommended by the Hot-Line after repairs like this common? I wonder what the change is about. I have a theory that there are a lot of DPFs being damaged by overheating from oil due to leaks and fuel loading from excessive idling. We now have recalls to reprogram the PCM to address the latter (20E08) and extended coverage for DPF failures with DTC P2002 (20M06) So what will prevent similar damage when the PCM decides to perform a regen normally? I don't see the reasoning.

They don't have to pay us to do a manual regen if the PCM will do it for us. My thought is it always comes down to dollars and cents. 

Well pay or no pay, my last repair was customer pay and I was not going to release the truck with a DPF at 158% and not making sure the filter was clean and the sensors were operating correctly. I do share the cautiousness  regarding overheating and damaging the catalysts. When I get one of these will run it until the EGTs approach 500 degrees  - smoking like crazy and shut it down... repeat until the smoke clears up.  THEN run a manual regen. This truck took three cycles before it cleared. 

The overheating of the dpf is my thoughts on why they posted the message. Way too much raw “fuel” in there for it to regen without toasting the dpf. 

And yes I agree that letting a truck go with an overloaded dpf is not good either.