#1 Injector Harness Melted

Rate this topic

Hey Guys:

I'm looking for a root cause and thought I'd ask some opinions. The truck is an early '04 F model with the complaint of stalling and smoke under the hood while on the highway. The owner opened the hood to find a harness smoldering on the right side. He waited a bit, it started, and he drove it to the shop (independent, not dealer). Shop found #1 harness melted from overamperage from the FICM to #1 pigtail. They removed both valve covers for inspection, and all 8 injector pigtails looked fine, and resistance measured about the same on the coils. They test fuel pressure to find none, replace the HFCM and the FICM harness, and inspected the old harness thoroughly for rub throughs. They started it up to find a dead hole on #6, installed a new injector on #6, now the truck runs perfect, no codes, gave it a good test drive, and gave it back to the owner. I asked if it had been reflashed or back to a dealer recently, with the answer being no, as this shop does all of this guy's work, and they are pretty sure it had not been flashed lately. My question is, what caused the harness to melt? Flashing without pulling the FICM relay?

Any comments? I'm looking for a root cause. The harness is on it's way to me right now for a more thorough inspection.

Thanks!

I can't be sure about the injector harness concern... An 04 with a V-Mac underhood compressor..... the compressor installation required that the GPCM be moved and that was done poorly. The right side injector harness was lifted up and #7 wound up chaffing on the heatshield.

This truck was a stalls/sometimes no restart. During the no start times, I couldn't get the buzz test to run... almost like the FICM was "protecting itself".

I can't see a short like this pulling FICM logic power down but there remains the chance that it was pulling the injector powers down.

When I replaced the harness, I recall it being brittle but I thought that could be because of it's proximity to the compressor...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys:

I'm looking for a root cause and thought I'd ask some opinions. The truck is an early '04 F model with the complaint of stalling and smoke under the hood while on the highway. The owner opened the hood to find a harness smoldering on the right side. He waited a bit, it started, and he drove it to the shop (independent, not dealer). Shop found #1 harness melted from overamperage from the FICM to #1 pigtail. They removed both valve covers for inspection, and all 8 injector pigtails looked fine, and resistance measured about the same on the coils. They test fuel pressure to find none, replace the HFCM and the FICM harness, and inspected the old harness thoroughly for rub throughs. They started it up to find a dead hole on #6, installed a new injector on #6, now the truck runs perfect, no codes, gave it a good test drive, and gave it back to the owner. I asked if it had been reflashed or back to a dealer recently, with the answer being no, as this shop does all of this guy's work, and they are pretty sure it had not been flashed lately. My question is, what caused the harness to melt? Flashing without pulling the FICM relay?

Any comments? I'm looking for a root cause. The harness is on it's way to me right now for a more thorough inspection.

Thanks!

International has a SFN on #1 pigtail OR solenoid burning up.This only applies during a Re-flash when the Damage can be done.Either disconnect the #1 pigtail before starting a flash OR,Wait for the spool pre-cycle to complete after turning on the key before starting any re-programming.It could be that this Tk was reflashed and sufferd damage in #1 harness feed and it manifested from there.Personally I yank the feed off of it to be sure when reflashing.All this may differ on the Ford side of things cant say for sure

OK... it's making sense now, Scott.... We are instructed to remove the FICM power relay when reflashing trucks since sometime last year, IIRC.

Now... I have to wonder what we might see with this induction heating strategy...

OK... it's making sense now, Scott.... We are instructed to remove the FICM power relay when reflashing trucks since sometime last year, IIRC.

Now... I have to wonder what we might see with this induction heating strategy...

I also believe this flash is Fords baby.So far International has Not offerd it.There is no doubt The two together created it.But I think International may just stick with the current Buzz Bomb LOL.. But then again who am I to say what either may do next