Fuel line identification

Rate this topic

I have a guy who wants me to install an aftermarket inline fuel heater on his 17 F450. It needs to go in the line that goes into the filter from the tank. I cannot find a description of which line is which between the pump and filter and I would rather not unplug them all and power up the pump to see which one sprays. 
Can anyone help me out with this?

We pulled the tank out of the truck and did some investigating on how the fuel flows through the lines and the filter.  I’m gonna refer to the ports on the fuel conditioning module by number from top to bottom in my picture with #4 being the port that is turned 90 degrees from the rest of them. 

7EF3B20D-456F-4947-AC06-56228EB5056D.thumb.jpeg.2ca99976b9c78f1928292b7677384a82.jpeg

#1. The filter housing is under suction just like the previous body style’s filter. 

#2. The line that the book calls the “return line” is actually the line that draws fuel from the tank into the filter on port #2. 

#3. The fuel flows through the filter assembly , out port #1 and then goes into the fuel pump and gets pressurized. There is actually an arrow on the filter housing to indicate direction of flow. 

#4. Fuel leaves the pump and goes to the secondary filter and the hpfp. 

#5. Fuel returns to the fuel conditioning module on port #4 and then if the fuel is warm enough back to the tank. Otherwise if it’s too cold it gets sent right back through the filter to the pump and back to the motor. 

• Like 2