6.0L e series bus valve cover removel

Rate this topic

ok, this is my first time doing injectors on an e series/school bus. does anyone have any tips for removing the valve covers. i was able to remove the left hand side cover without to much trouble i.e removing the turbo and removing the left side engine mount bolts, then jacking the motor to the moon. all went well but not i am trying to get the right side valve cover and oil rail off with little success. any help would be appreciated. thank you all for your input.

You have to remove the left motor mount and lower the engine i.e. to bring the right valve cover up and away from the body (closer to the center of the doghouse opening). Turbo removal is not necessary for either valve cover, and the left cover does not require removal of the motor mount.

I don't really care much for school busses and ambulances either. On a normal Econoline, I will usually remove the front 4 body bolts, jack up the right front corner and slide a piece of 2X4 between the cab and the frame to pull the rocker cover and oil rail.

However they pay decent.

Ha it's never enough dude, it ties up a stall for days at a time that could be making real money and slow the whole shop down whenever we have one that needs to come into the shop, guys will take over an hour on a .3 LOF just to not be the next guy up for a job....the wife knows if I have been working on a bus because I come home and start drinking ./forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif

got the covers back on today and installed the turbo and pipes. not sure how you would get the covers off without removing the turbo and jacking the motor unless you have really strong stick arms. i tried to leave the turbo on and jack the motor and all i got was 1/2 inch lift, not nearly enough. thanks for all the help, i may try and remove the motor mount next time and see how that goes.

no it isnt but we are kinda stuck with them being one of the main dealers to service them. just wait til it takes you an hour just to get the doghouse off due to all the electronics for a meat wagon. most of the time I pull both seats, all the radios, computers, monitors etc out just to gain access. Ive done several engines in these things too. injectors are by far the worst job tho. there just isnt any easy way to get to them.

I dunno, yanking an engine is a pretty extensive repair for just injectors. cant imagine ford or the customer wanting to pay for that. now maybe if there was a bedplate leak that is all too common and kill two birds with one stone....... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif