6.2 Questions

Rate this topic

Hey Guys:

I'm writing a 6.2 class for a customer. I have a couple of questions:

1. Can you change a VCT with the timing cover on?  I doubt it, but I bought a 2018 core motor and tore it down.  There is enough room to sneak the VCT bolts out and probably get the VCT out, but the whole chain tensioner and timing thing, I'd probably say no.  I just want your input on it. The WSM says to pull the cover.

2. Has anyone had issues with the screens (in the end of the cam) plugging with sludge?  This motor looked pretty clean at a glance (top of the heads etc) but there was massive glop on the screens and in the VCT chambers.  I really can't believe the VCT system was operational with what I took apart.

3. This is the only OP spec in the service manual: Minimum oil pressure at idle (engine at normal operating temperature) 8.0 psi (55 kPa). 

This seems to conflict with other engines that have VCT problems due to low oil pressure.  Any comments?

4.  The IMRC "paddles" seem to do nothing but restrict the intake passageway by about 70-80%. What engineering effect does this have- speed up the velocity of the air at low speeds to fill the cylinder? Or something to do with fuel dispersion on the back of the intake valve? I thought the paddles converted the intake from the (old school drag racing terms) "dual plane" to "single plane" but after looking at it I don't think so. The WSM says it's to generate turbulence, but this confuses me. Has anyone watched the command on these while driving- does it moderate them depending on throttle angle, or just slam them open and closed?

Any comments are welcome!  Thank You!

20230619_132003zzz.jpg

20230619_151246.jpg

20230622_160214.jpg

20230622_155443.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your input.  I know they've been pretty durable, almost bulletproof engines, I know of more than a few with 200K on them without issues. I'm a little surprised the client wants a class on them since they're a pretty basic engine by today's standards, but I'm a whore and will do anything for money.:lol:

The only other thing that comes to mind is the cracked exhaust manifolds and the fact that you cannot replace the dipstick tube without pulling the rh motor mount and exhaust manifold.  And yes in the salt states we do replace dipstick tubes on them fairly often.