zf 6 speed

Rate this topic

I thought I remembered that diesel applications required synthetic mercon so went a lookin. The older transmissions did according to the manual but all I can find on the 6-speed is:

MERCON® Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX (US); XT-2-LM12 (Canada)

I also agree that synthetic might be the better choice for the diesel applications due to the higher torque values.

If you look in the workshop manuals in specifications for manual transmission, you will find that the ZF-5 speed took mercon synthetic in diesel applications. The ZF-6 has a pump and cooler which is the reason they downgraded the fluid. But as I said before, the synthetic discipates heat alot more and up here it doesn't gell in the cold weather. We use the synthic in power sterring systems as well. It was a fix that hotline came out with in 1995 for the Windstars mostly, but also for all ford vehicles blowing the return lines off due to gelling. 4R100's: same thing. They would gell and self destruct. We flush 4R100's up to fully synthetic, and the people who have installed trans temp guages cannot believe the reduction in temperature when towing. Just a little education based on experience.