ACERT Training

Rate this topic

I was at CAT this week for my ACERT training. IS all of the training based on WebEx presentations and tests? My brain was smokin at the end of each day! Sitting in class watching a Power Point presentation that is available on the web is not what I expected. I had trouble staying awake and focused. Furthermore, the training material that goes with it is mostly printed, scaled down views of the presentation with images that you really can't see due to poor quality. It would have been better from a learning perspective to sit in front of the terminals and watch them on our own and follow up with the WebEx tests.

The big problem I had was that as a TEPS dealer technician I rarely see these engines and since I cant perform any repairs other than what is bolted to the outside of the engine, I almost never get to work on them other than maintenance. The problem this presents is a lack of product familiarity which made it difficult to understand much of what was going on in class at first. If you are a fleet tech or a CAT tech you knew what was going on. But overall, the training seemed to be lacking in my opinion. I thought that there was too much information thrown at you and so fast that you did not have time to absorb and digest it. In some way I am annoyed but I am mostly humbled. It is a different World than what it is like at most dealers.

I am impressed with the instructor, Tim O'Connor who is very knowledgeable and answered all questions and clarified things nicely.

I still have to return for Operation Readiness. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cover.gif

I went to Foley Cat in Piscataway NJ. I didn't hear any rumors this time around. What ruck does Toyota have that would support a heavy V-8 diesel well? I would also suspect that Toyota of all manufacturers would put their own engine in their trucks to keep tight control over quality. You can knock the 6.0L but from the carnage I just saw at the CAT service center a CAT engine might not be a good match. Who knows? Maybe in a pick-up they would do well.

ON EDIT: I did a search and only came up with this:

Quote:
"Toyota’s Diesel program is ongoing, and is led by D-CAT (Diesel Clean Advanced Technology). Toyota D-CAT produces the lowest harmful emissions of any modern diesel, surpassing EURO IV standards. It is initially available in the Toyota Avensis D- 4D sedan in Germany and the UK, where ultra low sulphur fuel is available. The Toyota DCAT system features a special catalyst called DPNR (Diesel Particulate NOx Reduction system) and Toyota's second generation high-pressure common-rail diesel injection

system. DPNR reduces both NOx and Particulate Matter in exhaust emissions, and cuts down the generation of HC (hydrocarbons) and CO (carbon monoxide)."

This is from toyotas web site. I don't think that it is actually a "CAT" motor its just an abbreviation for their emissions system. But I could be reading it wrong. hopefully someone might know more.

I would also suspect that Toyota of all manufacturers would put their own engine in their trucks to keep tight control over quality.

I don't think that it is actually a "CAT" motor its just an abbreviation for their emissions system.

I agree it would surprise me to see Toyota using another mfr's engine and would treat this as an unsubstantiated rumor at this point. I didn't know about the D-CAT system, perhaps my "source" had his head in a dark place. It was a stranger I met at the KY truck show.

Later!