2004-2006 F series aft fuel tanks

Rate this topic

Have had 3 trucks with fuel tanks that are "delaminating" internally. Trucks have approx. 60k-80k miles. Have found an silvery paste or flakes in the HFCM filter, also have found reddish powder and particles of rusty metal. Injector failures have been attributed to this delamination. Tank is not covered past the 3-36 warranty, injector failures now are also not warrantable if caused by the tank failure. We have replaced the bad tanks but are the new tanks going to fail again in 60k miles and cause repeated injector issues? I had the opportunity to examine a delaminated tank. I stuck my hand in the fuel sender opening and scraped my fingernails on the "roof" of the tank and came away with a handfull of rusty powder and debris. Are you guys seeing this type of problem. Any insight from you fine folks would be appreciated.

Jack Peterson

Fleet Manager

The Craig Group

Mays Landing NJ

I have seen a couple of times, aft tanks leaking water at the vent valve on the top of the tank (a new grommet seems to have fixed them). Are the vent hoses located somewhere that they would suck water vapor while driving? Could this be causing your rust issue? The fuel tank should not normally have any water in it to cause the rust.

We remove the mushroom can from the vent (the larger valve with the rollover valve in it) and add a length of hose - running it to a "safe" area.

We find that the top of these tanks can pack with mud, snow and/or ice. This trap water and allows it to seep into the tanks.

TSB 07-03-12 deals with water in the tank...

There is also some message regarding fuel tank delamination that I can't find at the moment.... IIRC, fuel additives and biodiesel were a couple of things mentioned in the message.

YUP, HAD 4 2005 F450'S AND 550'S LAST 2 WEEKS ALONE. LOW POWER SMOKE, ETC.NO WATER IN TANK ON THESE BUT WHAT A MESS WITH THE DELAM MATERIAL.

I just came by this broadcast message...

Quote:
1999-2008 F-SUPER DUTY / 2004-2007 E-SERIES - LACK OF POWER DUE TO LOW FUEL PRESSURE - FUEL TANK LINER SEPARATION

SOME 1999-2008 F-SUPER DUTY 350 CHASSIS CABS,450/550,AND 2004-2007 E-SERIES 350/450 VAN/WAGON (35GAL MID SHIP TANK) VEHICLES WITH A DIESEL ENGINE, MAY EXHIBIT A LACK OF POWER CAUSED BY LOW FUEL PRESSURE. IF NORMAL DIAGNOSTICS LEAD TO A RESTRICTED FUEL FILTER OR FUEL LINES, BE AWARE THAT FLAKING OR SEPARATION OF THE FUEL TANK LINER FROM THE STEEL FUEL TANKS MAY OCCUR DUE TO THE USE OF FUELS CONTAINING CONCENTRATIONS OF BIO-DIESEL GREATER THAN RECOMMENDED BY FORD (5%). IF FLAKING/SEPARATION HAS OCCURRED, THE FUEL TANK WILL NEED TO BE REPLACED. ALTHOUGH FORD CONTINUES TO ALLOW A MAXIMUM BIO-DIESEL CONCENTRATION OF 5%, A NEW FUEL TANK HAS BEEN RELEASED WITH A GREATER ROBUSTNESS TO BIO-DIESEL 6C3Z-9002-E (AFT TANK) FOR 1999-2008 F-SUPER DUTY DIESEL, AND 7C2Z-9002-D FOR 2004-2007 E-SERIES DIESEL VAN/WAGON MIDSHIP TANK.

Thanks all for your replies. Thanks Alex for the SSM. I am struggling with biodiesel being the cause. We have never run any bio diesel. We operate a fleet of 46 Ford vehicles, most Powerstrokes from 1999 through 2006. Only the 04 and newer diesel units have had a tank problem. I would lean more toward incompatabilty with ULSDiesel. Could there be a manufacturing problem with the tank internal coating? Or maybe an inferior steel issue? The loss of coating that I observed was not from the bottom of the tank. Coating had fallen from the inside top of the tank. Coating complete gone and severe rust started into the steel. What is strange is that the inside top of the tank would only contact fuel if packed full or by sloshing of the fuel. Any water would sink to the bottom of the tank. We have accumulated over 3 million mostly trouble free miles on our Ford fleet. I believe this problem will turn into a major debacle given the number of Powerstroke vehicles sold the last 5 years. I hope Ford will give this problem high priority and come to a conclusive finding. Thanks again

Jack Peterson

Fleet Manager

The Craig Group

• 3 weeks later...

Met with a Ford engineer and a Fleet rep regarding our fuel tank issues. Bio diesel is the cause of the delamination according to the fuel engineers. Apparently biodiesel is being sold retail without labeling of the product pumps at service stations because there is no regulation for labeling. We have probably been using biodiesel blends without our knowledge for months. The chemicals and other compounds used for refining the bio products are attacking the tank coatings. New tanks available since March have coatings that are resistant to higher biodiesel concentrations. We have six trucks w/6.0L that are affected. All will need new tanks.

Change intervals for fuel filters should be halved. Evidence of coating in the filters should be addressed immediately to prevent injector damage from low fuel pressure.