6.0 Reflash in a UPS chassis

Rate this topic

Need help reflashing a 6.0 in a UPS chassis. The ecm won't take the program. I've disconected both abs and trans ecu, used the new reprogramming box tied into fuse F-20, set the batt voltage to 13.0 and still nothing. Had UPS bring in another truck that I had previosly flashed and swapped the ECU/IDM and I still got the same thing. Talked to Matt in vehicle programming and finally go something usefull out of him. He said that international changed the way NETS programs, now using the 1939 data link and that every ups car is going to have this problem. He said some techs are jumping power to certain pins and this will allow for the programing process to work. I need to know what pins to put power to. Thanks

Mark

Now THAT is ingenuity! Too bad you have to do that to begin with. Have any of you guys contacted International and let them know what a problem this is? And since we Ford guys use NETS for F650-750 and LCF engines I assume this will affect us as well? Is there any service message or bulletin about this?

Got it all figured out Friday. With the new NETS system they are downloading the info into the truck ECM with the 1939 data line. On ALL the UPS chassis there is to much noise to allow for an uninterupted signal between tthe ecm and the laptop. Internationals tech service told me to put it on another vehicle (did not tell me they changed the way the program was being downloaded) So I used another UPS chassis and ran into the same thing. Programming a normal truck and there is no problem, so I pull up a wiring diagram of the data link on a UPS chassis and one for a Normal truck and compare the two. The major difference between the two is the UPS chassis uses an adaptor module on the 1939 link to convert the ECM signals to run the dash gauges. I removed this module (located inside the cab right behind the steering column) and unplugged the dash and the program went right in. Tried this with the other donor UPS chassis also and it took the program, so I don't think it was a fluke. The normal trucks use the ESC to send/convert ecm signal to run the dash cluster which the ups doesn't have. I should probably call tech back and let them in on this, but then again Matt in programming was an arrogant bastard that wouldn't disclose of any infomation on Internationals changing of the NETS program. I hope this helps you other techs from pulling your hair out, well at least for this type of job.

Mark