Booyah!

Rate this topic

Don't you just love it when a repair really goes your way? Today I busted out a head gasket job on a 6.0, and let me tell you - it was smooth.

The tools seemed to levitate to my hands.

The bolts were begging me to remove them.

Nothing rounded, no surprises.

I was in and out in record time...

Ahhh, if they could all be like that...

Your bay must be at the other end of the black worm hole my bay is spinning within. Almost every truck me and my team has touched lately has turned to a pile of steaming shit! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif Elusive high pressure oil leaks and pumps that seem good, but they ain't! Ever snap a CKP sensor off in the block on an F-Series with A/C? Broken exhaust manifold bolts, two transmissions that grenaded the day after we fixed engines and one truck literally up in flames. It has been 7 months since I have had a vacation... I think I am due. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotz.gif

But I am delighted to hear that you are kickin ass! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif

Truck #2 went under the wrench yesterday - another slam dunk.

I'm going to roll the dice one more time on #3 today. Let me tell you, I'm really starting to feel it this morning! I could just barely roll out of bed...

There are many ways to quantify age...

Going by my birth date, 36.

Going by how I feel physically, mid to late 40's

Going by the shit I've slogged through in the past, early 60's.

I know I've got physical youth on my side with these labor intensive jobs, coupled with the fact that I've been heavy line since the early 7.3L's. Please don't hold it against me...

Heh, at my ripe old age of 25 I suppose I shouldn't complain about the labor-intensive head gasket jobs anymore /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I'd keep gloating about my youth but I think I just heard an older tech's hip give out, I better check to see if he's ok...

Dave

In less than three weeks I will be 29....... for the 28th time. For those disadvantaged at math (a dangerous situation in this trade), I'll be 57.

There are days that my back hurts so bad I can barely straighten up... the arthritis in my hands, wrists and shoulders can turn every task into the labours of Hercules.... my dogs can bark so loud I can hardly put my boots on... I have tinitis... my arms aren't long enough to read a manual... This trade can eat it's young - if we let it....

But it's not about age - how old we feel - how old we are... It's all about outlook.... You can be young and healthy yet have such a sour attitude about everything that life will never be a joy....

I don't try to work a hard or as fast as the young lions.... it wouldn't work.... Work smarter.... plan a repair ahead.... pay attention to what we are doing....

Every day is a new opportunity - a new set of challenges - and, if it don't rain, one more chance to ride the Harley. I know I'm up for it.

One old guy, years ago, told me.... "Cheer up, Jimmy... things are never so bad that they can't get worse....".

I'm originally from the South and moved North. Here I promptly discovered snowboarding and it keeps me sane and young at heart. Not that I am old by any means but the diesels can wear you down. I take a couple of extra days off during the week each winter to work at Okemo mountain in Vermont to get a free season pass.