V-Mac

Rate this topic

We recently had our first 6.4 with a V-Mac scroll compressor mounted on the engine.... Sorry, didn't think to get pics....

Like the 6.0, they remove the fan stator during the conversion process and the fan clutch connector gets mounted (on a V-Mac supplied bracket) to the bottom of the rad shroud..... Unfortunately, when the truck get's into some heavy going, the engine torques over just enough to be nearly spectacular....

Just some minor things like radiator, shroud, fan clutch...

If you are lucky enough to have to install one of these beasts, make sure they supply you with the updated parts..... these include a fan hub extension, a tensioner bolt and a connector bracket - that doesn't seem like it will work until you get a little aggressive with it...

Good luck, gents.

Did that unit have dual alternators? Sounds pretty crowded under the hood if so. Any cac tube mods or extensions involved? I noticed the 6.4 hoses are ribbed and they all have the orange coating on the inside. I doubt aftermarket units will do the same and blow off under those high boost pressures.

where in the hell did they mount it? I had a couple 6.0s with those things and it was shoe horned in! I can only imagine to horror on a 6.4

The compressor is mounted about where the upper (secondary) alternator would fit...

I'll see if I can muster up some pics next time one comes through the shop...

yeah soo if you can snag a pic. I am sure I will see one sooner or later too. I just saw a truck I know have one out in the lot. its a 6.0 and doesnt start :banghead:

I don't understand the need to run anything off of the engine especially in such a cramped engine compartment. What is wrong with using a PTO on the transmission if the application allows for it? I realize there are things like augers and spreaders that need to be hydraulically powered with the vehicle moving but I see a lot of stuff that a PTO would work just fine. Wreckers and dump bodies to name two.

Mounting one of these compressors on the engine has its purposes... Driving one of these units off the PTO would add about $2G to the cost and expose the compressor to some nasty landscape.

Driving one of these units off the front of the engine reduces the number of things the operator needs to remember.... This is the oil patch. Many of it's workers could fit everything they own in the back seat of their clapped out 15 year old Camaro - and some of these guys are approaching mid-life.

If some of these companies wanted to be smart, they could just get a gas powered compressor and stick it on the deck... unfortunately, these things can become beer money in a heartbeat.

A very good friend is district supervisor for a service rig company... He can often be heard uttering "Give 'em books and all they do is eat the pages...". I guess you have to experience it to appreciate it.

I'd still rather see a gas powered 20hp Honda compressor mounted securely inside the sevice body than this crap we see. But then again, I would like to see Ford bring back the 7.3L and we all know when that will happen.

Jim,

You are right that adding a PTO option after the fact will be about 2K. That same option can be ordered on the truck (62R option) for about $250. Problem is that not many trucks are ordered with the option.

In fact it works great with the Real Power Generator unit offered through the Ford Commercial Truck Parts program.

After the PTO option is ordered, the customer comes to realize that all he got was a hole in the side of the transmission with a cover plate over it....

Now we can add the PTO itself and decide how we are going to drive our device.... pump and hydraulic motor? driveshaft? And then the PTO and <what-ever> comes with it's own baggage in terms of servicability and/or installation woes... A PTO mounted pump, the hydraulic lines, the transfer case and the front driveshaft are all competing for the same real estate...

And something I very nearly forgot.... a lot of our 450/550 trucks have both an underhood compressor and a PTO mounted hydraulic pump to run the picker.

The oil patch can be a unique place to work....