Sterling Bullet

Rate this topic

LARRY BRUDZYNSKI

Just had one of our Sterling reps bring in a Bullet only 1 of 3 in existence. Didn't have enough time to snap a picture but did talk with the rep. for a while. It looks like it might give Ford a run for the money. Service wise it's pretty accessible. Repair wise if the engine has to come out the cooling system assy up front has 4 bolts and the hoses and electrical that has to be disconnected. The engine comes out the front of the truck. Gee maybe Ford will take a look at this setup....

It is but better it's comparable to the F450-F550 and will only be available to Sterling dealers not Dodge dealers. The rep. told me that this grille will bolt right up to the Dodges front and has had requests for them.

Looks like a Dodge, and has a 6.7 Cummins I think... We are a Sterling dealer, but apparently we can't sell that truck because we sell Ford trucks... something to do with conflict of interest. We can still sell Acterras and Tractors...

This is not good for Ford because we constantly get customers ESPECIALLY THE OLD TIMERS, saying "i wish they never got rid of the 7.3" when their 6.0 comes in for work.

I think their are SOOO many people fed up with the 6.0 that that as soon as ANYTHING comes out that can do what the 450-550 can do, they will jump on that right away. Don't get me wrong, I love Ford and all, but when you put a high pressure pump on a 6.0, for a no start on a early 03, doesnt start, no ICP, IPR at 85%, go THROUGH EVERYTHING, then hotline saying its a bad pump, putting another pump on and that works, the customer complaining why his truck isnt done yet, hes losing money cause its in the shop. They get pissed.

Or after a major repair is done, week later STC fitting goes out and blames us because it was just here for a EGR, Oil Cooler, they get pissed off and search for anything to get out of their truck.

One of our biggest problems at our shop is our service writers promising trucks when we arent even done with them yet. They come to pick it up, something else goes wrong, and we look like asses.

where is CAT? I hear they want to jump into the 450-550 market too. I saw a picture of a prototype tundra with a cat motor in it not to long ago.

Tony... the service advisor thing isn't limited to just your store... Ours are constantly succumbing to customer pressure and perhaps not "promising" a truck will be done, they do "indicate" that it will be done and then it's a mad scramble to get someone to work late....

As far as concerns with Ford.... I think that all brands are having troubles - Ford is just the one everybody loves to hate. We have many customers that roll for marque to marque to marque in some idiotic quest for a truck that will never ever break. The complexity of the modern diesel makes them prone to concerns and time consuming to repair.

Lastly... if you are the last guy to touch the truck, it is automatic that it is your fault that the truck is broken again - this is a "consumerism"..... "Ever since you fixed my taillights, I've been using a lot of oil....". This is something you just have to reconcile for yourself. We all make mistakes... all we can do is come good for them.... at the same time, if is something beyond our control, all we can do is explain it to the customer in terms he can appreciate (use the glossy pics on the 6.0 bible if need be to help)... and continue to do the best job you possibly can....

Something that peeves my SM.... she will often get into some sort of panic or be infected by a service advisors panic... and then they all get pissed at me because I refuse to panic... serves no purpose....

I can recall one crusty old tech back in the 80s.... F250 is on the hoist - wheels are off, brakes are apart, rear diff is apart... the then service manager asks (for about the third time) when the truck will be ready. Old Bill simply said "He can take it now, if he wants" and went for a haircut.....