some IDS purchase help please

Rate this topic

Joey Kaylor

so far, every time i call Retarda, and i ask about the IDS purchase, they first tell me that there are units avail., and for my dealer code. well, when i tell them i'm an indy, thier tone immediately changes and they tell me there are no units to ship, to be put on the waiting list.

i'm curious if any of ya'll have tried to purchase one in the last few weeks, if the VCM kit is actually not available or are they feeding me a line of bullshit.

compensation for assistance is always given Posted Image

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

ive heard rumors VCM supplies are low and have been since IDS was released. my advice is to try and get just the VCM and cables if you can and supply your own laptop that meets the minimum specs. the VMM part of IDS is used very rarely, i'd say less then 5% of the time so buy that later. i try and ask for a PDS kit instead of IDS. the IDS and PDS software comes on the same disk anyways then buy the 2 cables need for IDS if you can. maybe that might work better then asking for an IDS kit. my dealer just ordered an VCM for IDS. the cables showed up in less the a week and we are still waiting on the VCM

I really don't think it matters where it came from when it comes to getting software updates for it. If you are a Ford/Lincoln/mercury/Mazda employee then you should have access to it as long as the dealers subscription is up to date. You can also get your own subscription for software and calibration updates so pretty much anyone that owns one can get it going. Now, as far as getting one repaired or serviced that might be a different story altogether and at the moment I have no answer for you. I know a couple of guys here have purchased their own. Perhaps they have documentation on the subject?

I sometimes get a little concerned over the "parentage' of some of these things.... I'm looking at the rotunda website (www.fordrotunda.com and log in like you would on the corporate server) - because motorcraft.com was taking forever to load - a licence renewal is $350 USD/year after the initial prepaid subscription is up. They will ask for the serial number of the VCM....

I think, Lew, is that I am saying "I dunno"...

Hold the phone.... motorcraft.com finally loaded... and a subscription is shown at $500/year (and they still ask for the S/N).

You might be able to get a definitive answer by calling 1-800-ROTUNDA. The answerbot will give you 7 options... option 4 is tech support. A new answerbot will give you 7 more options.... option 2 is VCM. I think you finally get to talk to a people about here...

If you are considering the purchase of one from e-bay, I think getting the S/N and calling tech support *may* be a wise thing to do.

And lastly, just to make sure someone is going to say "don't he ever shut up?", I've heard/read (interent style) of many that love the tools they bought off e-bay. But, for that initial subscription period, nobody has asked for the S/N of the tool, yet...

Thanks Jim.

Some of the tools you see on eBay are of "questionable lineage", but there is a company that sells "OEM" diagnostic tools. I am still out of the dealership and will likely stay out due to Fords unwillingness to provide the tools we HAVE to HAVE. They obsoleted the NGS and WDS and are now passing the cost of the diagnostic tools REQUIRED to work on their vehicles down to the TECH's while cutting our pay!!!

The only good news I've seen lately is that my Diesel Certification will expire come March of 07! After that I may consider working at a Ford dealership again...let the asset hero's fix them!!!

Sorry for the rant, I know this board avoids that but I'm still PISSED!!!

The shop makes the techs pay for this sort of equipment??? That ain't right, at all....

If one of our guys wants his own VCM, more power to him but, right now for 8 guys, we have two IDS, one VMM, two PDS, a WDS we mostly just use for the PVT (but I want to play with SGM for a while before I die), an "all make" tester and some old stuff (NGS, STAR, SUPER STAR, OTC 2000).

Luckily, our DP knows that to earn money, you sometimes need to spend it...

yet another week went by, and not avail. yet. calling in the morning again to see what the time frame is looking like.

all i want is a VCM kit, i have a laptop that will work (albeit their tech gurus say it wont cause its not an outdated Dell or an overpriced toughbook). from experience i have seen others have, namely Bruce, i have pretty much written off any and all support they might offer, since we aint a dealer.

i dont think i am even going to price a VMM again, a PICO will cost a few grand less and be able to do more stuff.

its getting tiring to diag. these 6.0's with the crap that OTC has on their scanners!

yet another week went by, and not avail. yet. calling in the morning again to see what the time frame is looking like.

all i want is a VCM kit, i have a laptop that will work (albeit their tech gurus say it wont cause its not an outdated Dell or an overpriced toughbook). from experience i have seen others have, namely Bruce, i have pretty much written off any and all support they might offer, since we aint a dealer.

i dont think i am even going to price a VMM again, a PICO will cost a few grand less and be able to do more stuff.

its getting tiring to diag. these 6.0's with the crap that OTC has on their scanners!

Here is the latest from eGay. We REALLY need the straight dope from Ford/Rotunda about where you are allowed to purchase from and still get updates/support.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/VCM_W0QQfromZR40

If you want answers, you have to ask. So I did:

Quote:
There are techs on my web site that have been trying to purchase VCM kits or PDA kits if necessary but Rotunda has been been showing them on backorder forever. Some guys are independents and have been given the runaround from Rotunda. The main concern is that if they purchase one here on EBAY, will their units be supported by Ford as far as warranty on the units and will they be able to get subscriptions for updates and calibrations? Thank you.

Not sure I will get a response. I hope I asked the right question. Since these particular units were used for the Ultimate Technician Challenge I would think that the user selling them works for or is associated with Ford. I figured that if I ask a straightforward question I might get an answer. But then again, they guy may have absolutely no clue. I'll post the response when I get it.

And here is the response which I believe to be accurate:

Quote:
the unit will still be supported because the license has been paid for. when the license expires, all you have to do is buy a new one on the pts site. all the updates and calibrations are free and available either on motorcraft.com or at the rotunda portion of pts,.

I also reviewed the Motorcraft website and verified software licenses may also be purchased there.

I think that they have been on backorder for like the last year! I heard that some were delivered but I think that Ford is still filling orders to dealers that need the equipment. I was monitoring the RTTP web site and they were not available. Just checked and Rotunda shows anything needing a VCM is backordered.

The PDA kits are no longer available or at least the site says thay are no longer taking orders for them?!?! I guess we will have to go and round up all the parts seperately. If i recall I thought I heard that they were coming out with a hard case for the PDA and VCM.

• 3 weeks later...

so i got a call today from the supplier:

rotunda is still on backorder to them for at least three more weeks.

seriously, anyone else have a line on getting one? or want to see if they can get one for themselves at their dealership? monetary compensation can be persued if need be......

Joey, The Rotunda Technician Tool Program (RTTP) is where we Ford techs can buy them. The last I looked, maybe a week ago, the VCM kits were still shown on backorder. The original PDS kits which were the VCM and PDA combo are no longer available. That was a nice deal because you saved a few hundred bucks and there was a nice case that held everything together... now you have to go and buy a PDA on your own. No big deal but you still can't buy a VCM at the moment! You are not the only one waiting my friend. I have been waiting almost a year. First I didn't have the cash, now I do and I can't get one unless I want to pay too much on eBay. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Since you have some cash to throw around, toss some my way! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I have to go along with Bruce.... We've had 4 VCMs for a long time (Currently only 8 people in the shop.... 'neener/neener/neener'). VMM took a bit and my VDR cable looks to be in limbo....

If a Ford dealer is having trouble getting a VCM, my experience tells me that something is wrong in the food chain.... If you have access to inford or FMCDealer, you should also be able to get on to fordrotunda.com (memory thing) with your same username and password.... I'll check when I get home and fix any misconceptions.....

• 2 weeks later...