Here we go supliment 11 on 05s28

Rate this topic

Tony302600

Ford Recalling 3.6 Million Vehicles

By KEN THOMAS, Associated Press Writer

4 hours ago

WASHINGTON - Ford Motor Co. said Friday it is recalling 3.6 million passenger cars, trucks, sport utility vehicles and vans to address concerns about a cruise control switch that has led to previous recalls based on reports of fires.

Ford said the recall covered more than a dozen vehicle models built from 1992-2007. The company said it was responding to concerns from owners about the safety of their cars and questions about the speed control deactivation switch in the vehicles that is powered at all times.

The Dearborn, Mich.-based automaker previously had recalled nearly 6 million vehicles beginning in January 2005 because of engine fires linked to the cruise control systems in trucks, SUVs and vans.

"Customers remain concerned about the long-term durability of the speed control system and about the safety of their vehicles," said Ford spokesman Dan Jarvis.

He said the automaker had received "a few reports of fires" in Ford Crown Victoria passenger cars prior to the recall. He did not have a precise number.

The recall involves the following vehicles: 1998-2002 Ford Ranger, 1992-1997 Lincoln Town Car, 1992-1997 Ford Crown Victoria, 1992-1997 Mercury Grand Marquis, 1993-1998 Lincoln Mark VIII, 1993-1995 Taurus SHO, 1999-2001 Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer.

Also covered are the 2001-2002 Ford Explorer Sport, 2001-2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac, 1992-1993 E150-350 vans, 1997-2002 E150-350 vans, 1993 Ford F-Series pickups, 1993 Ford Bronco, 1994 Mercury Capri, 2003-2004 Ford F-150 Lightning, and 1995-2002 Ford F53 motor homes.

An additional 177,000 vehicles in Canada, Mexico and Europe are covered by the recall.

Jarvis said there have been no deaths, injuries or accidents associated with the recall.

It was Ford's sixth recall, involving a total of more than 10.4 million vehicles, conducted since 1999 because of problems with the speed control system, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The nation's largest single recall involved 7.9 million Ford vehicles in 1996 to replace an ignition switch.

Texas Instruments Inc. supplied the speed control switch in all of the vehicles covered under Friday's announcement, Ford said. A TI spokeswoman could not immediately comment.

Owners will begin receiving recall notices on Aug. 13. Jarvis said the parts for passenger cars would not be available until early October. In the meantime, owners can take their vehicle to a dealer to have their cruise control deactivated until the parts arrive. The parts are available for trucks, Jarvis said.

Dealers will install a fused wiring harness into the speed control electrical system or replace the deactivation switch if its found to be leaking.

Owners with questions about the recall can contact Ford at (888) 222-2751.

___

On the Net:

Ford Motor Co.: http://www.ford.com/

While a recall is a negative thing for consumers, this sort of thing will bring 3.6 million vehicles into the dealerships. That is 3.6 million opportunities to add extra work - even a simple oil change combined with a QCRC could potentially bring repeat visits. A large number of these 3.6 million vehicles are likely not maintained at Ford dealerships. Turn a negative thing like a recall around with an excellent service experience and you might just gain new customers and bring some old ones back!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif

That is 3.6 million opportunities to add extra work

Once again, as long as the opportunity is used correctly (there has been discussion about unscrupulous techs hammering the customers).

Years back my then girlfriend had a VW Golf that was recalled for the heater core that might leak. SA called to say that the tech "noticed" that the CV boots were cracked (while replacing the heater core) and should be replaced (big surprise, a gravy job!). It had a taste of merchandising to me. She declined, we got the car back and I looked again in case I'd missed them at the last oil change and they had another 20k left in them, easy (I think I changed them 2 years later). She was annoyed at the dealership and maybe that style was tolerated there, but it was probably just that tech.

I guess my point is that recommending CP work when the vehicle is in for "free" repairs can go either way.

Steve has brought up a valid point.... when is a recommended service pre-emptive and when is it over-sell?

In that vein, let's start a separate thread, so as not to hijack this one, and call it "Upsell or Oversell?"....

Well, Steve, that is something to think about and that would be a completely valid concern were I addressing a group of technicians that make a living upselling un-needed work. We know they are out there.

Just to drive my point home, ANY time a customer comes through your door and trusts you with their vehicle, you owe them the respect of dealing with then and their vehicle with honesty and integrity. If you take a few minutes to look their vehicle over and document anything that requires immediate or future attention, you are not only doing your job but you are providing the customer with a valuable service... no matter if they they say "no thanks." They are likely going to have someone else check your recommendations and validate your findings assuming you are "on the level."

You bet, it can go either way but I certainly would not let that stop me from providing any customer with an honest report on their vehicle. Hey, all they can say is no! Right? Don't let opportunity pass you by.

OK...I'm gonna argue this whole point...

Next time you are at a restaurant, pick a person or two and ask them if they have been to a dealer lately for any type of "recall/warrenty" work, maybe bring up the latest Ford recall letter?

If they have I'm willing to bet it will go something like this:

"they tried to sell me a brake job and trans service while I was there"..."freaking crooks"!

"I think some of those recalls are put out just to get you to bring your car in"..."freaking crooks".

" I have my own mechanic that charges less than half what those rip-offs want to charge"..."freaking crooks".

Etc, Etc...I've heard them all. And unfortunately they aren't as "wrong" as we would like to admit...

I was taught NO UPSALES ON WARRENTY WORK!!! I believe a recall falls under the same guidelines...if a recall requires a vehicle to be racked then I can see how a tech could "find" it needs brakes, axle boots, fluid leaks, needs a diff service (rip-off IMO), etc. If it comes in for the installation of a FREAKING FUSE in the cruse control I have problems with pulling wheels...

Guess that's why I can't turn 70+hrs a week though? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

Guess that's why I can't turn 70+hrs a week though?

Don't feel bad. I haven't broken 45 hours in years. You are right about putting a truck in a lift for a cruise control wiring recall, which I am not going to do but you still have this opportunity to:

• Treat the customer well and make an impression
  • Offer to perform a FREE Quality Care Inspection
  • Ask if there are any services they would like done while they were there
  • Ask if there is anything else you could do for them while they were there
  • Thank them for choosing your service department, "please come again!"

I am not sure why you seem to chose the cynical approach to looking at this. I suppose all positions need to be represented here. IF you wanted to debate this, here we go! I just listed five ways to make a recall visit an opportunity and not doing a single thing more that performing the recall. In fact, you can do all of those items I listed and not even touch the vehicle, although they might think you are crazy for thanking them if you don't perform the recall. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

Asking a customer if they have any service needs or if they would like you to check over their vehicle is standard procedure in this business. If a customer is going to cop an attitude or call you a "friggin crook," that is not an indication that YOU did something wrong... or is it? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif My guess is, those people either had a bad experience in the past or they simply have behavioral issues that we cannot help them with. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif

...a rare sermon from good 'ol Ford Doctor:

Quote:
Guys, we are in a service business. If I go to a restaurant and the waitress assumes I only want dinner, she is about to make a mistake. She better ask me if I want a drink. She better ask me if there is anything else I would like. She better ask me if I want dessert. She better not assume I don't need a beer or want dessert because I am a little pudgy in the middle. There are three things you CAN assume about me; I like and want beer, chocolate and sex but not necessarily in that order. Since I might want a combination of to or all three, you had better ask anyway!

Before any of you wise-asses assumes I have sex in restaurants, the answer is no!

No... but I have to wonder how beer and chocolate tastes together... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

Getting some of these people into the service department is a very necessary step if we are to show them that we aren't hacks and crooks... to demonstrate that we care about them as customers and people... to be personable and professional...

At the same time, do we have the luxury of defining our target audience or do demographics mean we need to take nearly everything that rolls up to the door as a retail job?

Mention is made of higher door rates.... well - yes. We have the tools, technical resources and testers that most independents either can't afford or just can't get. We should have learned from our factory training and we should have a superior product knowledge of our bread and butter... Ford cars and trucks. We should also offer red carpet service...

If our washbays have a dead spot in their day, big invoice jobs get a car wash. Rides to work.... Loaner cars.... Top notch customer service and a clean, pleasant environment.

These are all things that higher door rate should pay for.... And if we proudly point to the bubbles on our plaque, we damned well better remember the things we studied to earn those bubbles.

That higher door rate should be for the benefit of the customer and not just a means to higher profit margins.

I think it's a trip when you're out in public with you're uniform on (which I am always in, it seems) and anyone near you will start a conversation about an auto repair story. I here them most of the time while standing in lines to pay for things, the conversations almost never involve me but are loud enough that ease dropping requires no effort. I find the power of suggestion absolutely amazing.

I think it's a trip when you're out in public with you're uniform on (which I am always in, it seems) and anyone near you will start a conversation about an auto repair story. I here them most of the time while standing in lines to pay for things, the conversations almost never involve me but are loud enough that ease dropping requires no effort. I find the power of suggestion absolutely amazing.

or the ever popular: "Are you a mechanic?"

or the ever popular: "Are you a mechanic?"

I just say "no, I am not." What I don't tell them is that I am a technician! I don't mean to be rude and there are some people I talk to. There are days though, that it's 6:00, I have to stop at the store, it's been one of those days and somebody wants to bitch about the service at one of our other stores on the other side of the county. I just wanna go home lady.

I did a Ranger today so read through the instructions. Pickups are to be done, but cars will have the harness disconnected until enough repair kits are available in the 4th quarter of 2007. Didn't we do that crap before? That is just really convenient for the owner. Also leaking switches are not replaced. The harness is blown out and dielectric grease is applied. That doesn't seem right.