Ghost Codes

Rate this topic

2004 F550, 120k

Just a quick question: I looked at this truck yesterday that I see regularly and it had a bunch of new ghost codes I've never seen.

P0261, 264, 267, 270, 273, 276, 279, 282,(all 8 injector open circuit codes) 401, 611,(FICM performance) 2263.

I'm most concerned about the injector circuit codes and the FICM code and think they might be related. It drives fine with no complaints and passes all tests except the boost test, where it only builds 1.6psi. I asked him about dead batteries, new batteries, or low voltage problems that might have generated the codes, but he knew of nothing. I flashed this truck a couple of months ago and put in a new EBP because it was out of range. There's probably low boost too, but as long as he's not complaining about power it probably won't get fixed.

Any guesses on what might be going on? I cleared them and will look at it again next week. I was actually there to look at another truck but thought I'd plug into this one, too, as it was handy.

Thanks!

We do replace a few FICMs a year in our store.... Codes and symptoms do seem to vary a little but I can't recall ANY of the details.... don't worry, one day you will be old and forgetful, too /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/poke.gif

Before I made the call on the FICM, though, I'd be down in there wiggling the FICM connectors with the engine running to see if I could either get a reaction or create a code.

On some of these FICMs, it can be near impossible to reseat connectors on installation. I've found the odd one and even created one of my own. I like to take a dab of brake caliper grease and just rub it lightly around the connector opening on the FICM... helps immensely.

HTH

FWIW, it is those "ghost" codes that "haunt" us.... is it "one of those things" or will it turn into a repeat concern?

I'd probably lean towards a poor FICM connection. I find that alot of people (myself included the first time I disconnected one) don't realise that there are two tabs to press to unlock the FICM harness. Most of the FICMs that I have replaced, had failed due to being smoked (pardon the pun) by a Y-pipe leak, but the odd one still does go south for no apparent reason.

HAD A BIG NUMBER OF TRUCKS COMING IN WITH ALL 8 INJECTOR CODES. TURNED OUT TO BE LOW FUEL LEVEL AND WITH LOW FUEL LAMP ILLUMINATED. DEFAULTS TO DERATE WITH LOW FUEL LEVEL.