2004 mustang 3.9liter

Rate this topic

iceman

this is an 04 mustang with a 3.9liter. Vehicle is a crank no start. I verified it that the engine would hit but not run, retrieved pending code p0340 cmp, fuel pressure is ok. ingnition ok. The vehicle will start if primed with starting fluid and run. It detonates and spark knocks extremly bad under light load. You can shut if off and wait 10 mins and will restart and still run like shit, let it sit overnight and will not start until reprimed. the engine is in time and i have put a known good cmp sensor on still same problem all wiring is ok. I am a diesel tech and this is just eating my lunch any help is appreciated thank in advance

I would check the cam synchro for proper installation. It has to be timed like a distributor and if anyone had it out it may be out of time. Put the engine at top dead center of #1 compression stroke and there is tool 303-630 that should fit over the synchro if all is lined up correctly. I've seen these off one tooth and not really affect anything but if there in 180 out or so things get bad, because the sensor times the fuel delivery. I would also examine the crank pulley for seperation. If the exciter ring for the ckp gets some wear, then pcm gets really confused.

Did you happen to run off a fuel sample when you checked pressure? Sure have seen "bad gas" do strange things. If you have a motorvac, use it as a fuel pump with known good fuel and see how things react.

i took a fuel sample today into a clean empty 20 oz water bottle to my surprise it looked like piss lol haha. It had a very faint smell of gas also it did not eat thru a styrofoam cup. I went and purchased 32cents of gas and put it into another water bottle and found this same regular unleaded gas had a light blue tint and smelled like gas again i placed some in another like styrofoam cup and it ate right thru in under 30seconds. So it looks like i will be draining the tank and putting some fresh juice into it. I hope it solves the problem. I did ask her if she by mistakinly put diesel in it she replied no i use the black handle not the green. So i called the gas station and they have been having problems the diesel is mixed with the gas so it looks like there ass is paying for the job. I will post when i find out more. thanks guys

drained tank and refilled with good unleaded fuel car ran fine then started right up hesitated a little but in the end it ran like a striped ass ape lol thanks guys. They should have put a diesel in these things easier to work on hahahaha